Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kenworth T-900 to Boss Truck Rebuild Major update

I've been pretty steady at this project since my first post. I have parts to complete it comming but until they arrive I robbed them from other builds which I will replace when the parts get here. It is comming along fairly well and can't wait to complete it. Right now about 75% done. Hope it looks somewhat close so far.

Bossbuild008.jpg

I think you have made a fantastic representation. Such a super looking model. The only thing I might of done different was make the frame a little longer. And trust me it is a "stretch" for me to say that as long wheelbases are really not to my liking. ;)

I will definitely refer back to this thread when I get around to building mine so keep those photos on your host site. I have plans for the same truck but the "white top" version.

PS Dont forget to paint the KW bug catcher gold..

Yes it looks really good.

It might be that the sleepers are slightly too long, or as you say Sean, the frame could have been stretched some...but not much...just enough to get some space between the sleepers and the rear fenders to get the right look.
Other things I would have done if I would have built it is change the engine to a Detroit 12V-71 instead of the kits Cat 3408 and the wheels to either 5-hole Truck Mates or 2-hole Budds from Ben Wicker depending on wich version I did, I would also probably have tried to replicate the older 4-bag air ride suspension the real truck had instead of the Air Glide 100 that's in the kit, and add an auxiliary transmission...but that's me, ;)

As for the gold KW "Bug" emblem it's only gold on the last two versions where the truck was Orange with white-yellow-red stripes and white tops or black tops, the other versions where the truck was white with blue and red shadowed panels on the sides and fenders, orange with white tops, white pinstriping and blue panels on the fenders, black (or if it's very dark blue) with light blue pinstriping and blue and white panels on the fenders, or the red with gold-blue-white large stripe on the sides and panels on the fenders and tanks the Bug emblem is the regular chrome and red.

Edited by Force

Yes it looks really good.

It might be that the sleepers are slightly too long, or as you say Sean, the frame could have been stretched some...but not much...just enough to get some space between the sleepers and the rear fenders to get the right look.

Other things I would have done if I would have built it is change the engine to a Detroit 12V-71 instead of the kits Cat 3408 and the wheels to either 5-hole Truck Mates or 2-hole Budds from Ben Wicker depending on wich version I did, I would also probably have tried to replicate the older 4-bag air ride suspension the real truck had instead of the Air Glide 100 that's in the kit, and add an auxiliary transmission...but that's me, ;)

As for the gold KW "Bug" emblem it's only gold on the last two versions where the truck was Orange with white-yellow-red stripes and white tops or black tops, the other versions where the truck was white with blue and red shadowed panels on the sides and fenders, orange with white tops, white pinstriping and blue panels on the fenders, black (or if it's very dark blue) with light blue pinstriping and blue and white panels on the fenders, or the red with gold-blue-white large stripe on the sides and panels on the fenders and tanks the Bug emblem is the regular chrome and red.

Yes there were things I could have done to make it more exact. The issues were money, so I had to do with what I had, If I ever get the funds to change things around I will especially the right 2 hole wheels, engine and suspension. Hopefully down the road I can fix these issues. Thanks for all the info it helps with correcting this later on.

Man, that's a good looking truck......I really like that idea of the double sleepers.....Until this thread, I had never seen that....Maybe I'm a little slow, but that's a cool idea....I've gotta try that, myself....It won't be a replica, as I like to do things "My way", but I'm gonna do something like this....Thanks for the inspiration.....Awesome truck....