Model Cars Magazine Forum

Read this is you are in a club that hosts a show in the Southern US.Very important Info!

Austin T

I am here to inform anyone hosting a show in the Southern area of the USA about a man that purchases models off of Ebay and then goes to various shows in this region and cleans house with other people's models. His name is "Charles Jones" sometimes goes by "Charlie Jones". He brings on average about 20+ models to each show and displays them on a square mirror or a rectangular(See picture of one of his entries for details). I have found his ebay username and have documented evidence of his immoral practices. He has even purchased models from some members on here and claims them as his own!

Here is a link to a spread sheet I made with links to the models he's bought in the last 90 days:https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tI-94F2F1Y5XR0UvV2RGrUaijcgb4m6VlMU7TPEUoQk/edit#gid=0

Here is a link to his ebay page:http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=cj4403&ftab=AllFeedback

And here are some pictures of the stuff he brings.

post-8818-0-69146800-1398016952_thumb.jp

post-8818-0-65737500-1398017076_thumb.jp

He tends to frequent IPMS shows and has been spotted in TN,AL, and possibly VA. If you have anymore information on Mr. Jones please send me a PM. A bunch of us have been working really hard to try stop this man from ruining events and giving modelers a bad name.

I looked at the eBay links you provided and while those are nice shelf models that he bought in the $30-50 range, I don't see anything there that would upset a contest. Odd thing is that he bought several of them from someone in Denver who said "good enough to bring to a contest" in one of the auctions... so you have two guys who think this is okay.

In fact his address and phone number are visible in your second photo.. why not give him a call?

Edited by Tom Geiger

However sad this may be...how do you 'police' this from happening. The list you have presented does nothing to corroborate the photos you have posted. Do the shows explicitly state in order to win an award the entrant must have built it?

Although this may sound harsh and will probably be construed not in the way I intend it but if it is the best model on the table should it not win? Someone built it and if they sold it it is no longer proprietary to that person. Does this person get 'banned' from entering any contests? I don't condone this activity...just trying to elicit some well thought out responses.

Do the shows explicitly state in order to win an award the entrant must have built it?

Although this may sound harsh and will probably be construed not in the way I intend it but if it is the best model on the table should it not win? Someone built it and if they sold it it is no longer proprietary to that person. Does this person get 'banned' from entering any contests? I don't condone this activity...just trying to elicit some well thought out responses.

Straight from the IPMS website "All entries except chapter/group entries must be the sole work of the individual whose name is on the entry blank" The only shows this individual enters is IPMS events, he has not attended any non IPMS events in the area. As for them being superior models, some of them were. Should a man that has money and knows how the internet works be awarded best in show for something that he clicked on and got a week later? No the builder should.

As for more evidence here is a build thread on the Merc above.http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/49-mercury-custom-coupe-1-25-revell.18131/#post-156444 and here http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/1949-mercury-custom-coupe-1-25-revell.17929/

I also have emails from the builder/ seller of the Merc stating that it is one of his builds that he sold on Ebay to this guy and even matched the address where it was shipped to. This guy is a lying turd that claims his builds are all better than anybody that enters the shows. Even going as far as telling other modelers about what they need to do to be able to build as nice of him.......when in fact he does not enter a single one of his own builds.

How would the scenario be handled when he enters a model in the contest? How do you check to you check to see if said builder actually built the model? We have established that the rules states the entrant must have built the model. How do we proceed if he says yes?

If any of the models that we have proof of being bought on Ebay are entered in a contest and the proof can be shown at that time, he should be told to leave. Does not matter if he entered 25 models and only 1 of them are proven to be bought online, all of them would be removed from the show OR the judges would be informed that they are not to be judged. He would also NOT be allowed to judge.

Edited by jrherald420

How do you check to you check to see if said builder actually built the model?

It's called honor. You're on your honor if you say you did something. As in we have to trust you're telling the truth.

However, where it's pretty clear that this man has acted in a way that is dishonorable, the shows should have a right to bar his entry, and possibly even his spectatorship if his presence is sufficiently upsetting.

If you can document that someone bought a model and entered it, and at least one of the shows in this area has done that, then a registered letter containing copies of your evidence should be sent, along with a request to return awards and, at the discretion of the contest sponsor, permanent forbearance from entry.

Charlie Larkin