Model Cars Magazine Forum

Impulse buying ?

I find myself buying kits I want ( or think I want ) only to put them in my little stash only to find I loose interest before I get to them. So I get a couple more and history repeats itself. So I have kits I may or may not ever actually build but want to keep just in case or to rob parts from. Ever buy a kit and then wonder why you got that particular kit ?

Yup. However lately I've been very proud of my restraint and passing up the $5 opened Monogram Trans Am, Corvette (or other common kit) at the flea market. I'm done saying, "maybe I can use some parts in the future." After a while you don't own your stuff, your stuff owns you.

sorry fellas, but my modeling cash flow is very limited. i know, hard to believe... every kit i buy is bought for a purpose, i have to have some sort of idea of what i am going to do with the kit. whether it be for a build or just parts. it's bought for something.... except if it's dirt cheap, but i have passed on those too. my impulse days of buying are long gone. if my interest fades on a kit, i can quickly trade it away for something i am looking for or wanting.

I've been able to control myself for the past five years; buying just what floats my boat and I do have all intentions to build, but it just might take a while at the rate I'm going. I went thru the impulse buying stage and found that it's not worth it. If I see a kit that has a good assortment of parts that I would use in a future build, I would buy that kit- but those occasions are rare indeed.

I Still Impulse Buy but not as much as I used to Have just been buying anything from the 30's to late 50's kits and been selling off everything else.Have over a dozen of the revell 49 merc now and 5 or 6 of the AMT 49 Merc. Been buying all the 49 Fords I can find and the 56 Ford from AMT.

There are a couple of free websites out there that offer Stash Management tools. I use My Hobby Info, I can tell you exactly what I have, and exactly what I paid for it - what's on my pending/OOP wish list, and it's also helpful for insurance purposes since I can export the data into an Excel Spreadsheet. If a kit I have doesn't exist in their database, I take a quick picture of the box art, enter in a few information fields and usually the kit gets added the same day. Believe me I've fleshed a lot of Automotive kits into their database as it was started by guys with a distinct Armo(u)r building preference.

I tend to only buy one "trend" at a time when I'm going back in history to acquire older kits that I don't have, that way I don't have money and attention spread out across too wide an area and end up with multiples of anything. I do have some multiples, all of them Law Enforcement "blanks", and I have the decals to make models out of all of them. But within my main collection the only thing I ever wound up with repeating kits of was the AMT '66 Fairlane as I bought one, then won one at the NNL Toledo door prize within days forgetting I already had one at home.

Edited by niteowl7710