Model Cars Magazine Forum

'69 Camaro street car

340-6

Hi guys!

I've been building model cars a few years now, and I just noticed that among my about 200 models there Isn't a single properly built first-gen. Camaro. I think that it is time to change that, so I bought a Revell '69 one. This kit, to be precise:

revell-1969-baldwin-motion-camaro-ss-427

I would have preferred the stock Z/28 or the Yenko S/C, but since it was available more easily, I got the Baldwin motion one.

So, off to the bench with this one.

I usually have nothing against spoilers, sidepipes or racing stripes etc, but I think that the guys at the BM went a little bit over the top with them with this car. Imho the whole car looks a bit grotesque with all those bits bolted onto it, so I wont be using all of them. I just want to build a honest, no nonsense, 4-speed, big-block street car.

I started the build by prepping the body for paint and cutting open the trunk door:

20140420_214721-vi.jpg

I also started modifying the front fascia by removing the molded in hideaway lights (Is that what they are called?) and replacing them with open ones. I think it gives the car a pretty nice look:

20140420_214626-vi.jpg

I painted the engine orange as a one unit. I know this isn't the way they left the factory, but as I'm building a street racer, I give myself some liberties.

20140420_214732-vi.jpg

To be continued. Soon.

Many thanks!

I decided that the colour will be just plain and simple silver with flat black hood and wheels. I'm hoping to use some steel wheels, but if I can't find any, I'll just use the Rally wheels that came with the kit.

I drilled some holes for fuel and brake lines to the undercarriage and painted it flat black with silver oversprays:

20140421_201627-vi.jpg

I also finished some parts for the engine.

20140421_201935-vi.jpg

The kit doesn't have a regular exhaust system, and I don't like the sidepipes the kit had, so i'm thinking of using this exhaust from AAR 'Cuda or Challenger T/A. I think it will fit nicely with some modifying:

20140421_202002-vi.jpg

Cheers.