Model Cars Magazine Forum

MCW 1966 Chevy Biscayne kit.

Just wanted to show a couple photo's of this kit. It looks pretty nice. Parts will need some work that is usually found in resin stuff but for the most part they are pretty clean. The body has a slight ( very slight ) twist to it but that is a easy fix. Not shown in the photos are the front and rear window and the silver "Biscayne" decals for the body. Bumpers and grill are not chrome but I am hoping that the parts from the Revell 66 Impala may be able to work. Does anyone Know ? Otherwise I guess I will have to try Alcad but have no experience with that stuff.

today66biscayne002_zps3bfb0f8e.jpg

today66biscayne003_zps351fb7c4.jpg

I'm building the same kit as we speak. Mine will be a sleeper with the R/M 396 from the 66 Impala. I don't think the rear bumper will work from the 66 Impala kit. It has 3 taillights where the biscayne only has 2. I have already shot both bumpers with alclad and they look ok. The R/M chassis fits fine.

Cool Ray! As I organize my hoard and fill in holes, I want to order a bunch of MCWs plain Janes. I think my first build will be a black '64 Biscayne to replicate the 60,000 mile 6 cylinder auto car I bought for my first girlfriend for the small sum of $100. back in 1978. I broke up with her at a friend's house. She was very upset and floored it in reverse to back out of the driveway. She hit a pole across the street popping the trunk lid up. And that was the last I ever saw of her and the car, tail lights slowly disappearing down the street with the trunk lid waving good bye!

I'm building the same kit as we speak. Mine will be a sleeper with the R/M 396 from the 66 Impala. I don't think the rear bumper will work from the 66 Impala kit. It has 3 taillights where the biscayne only has 2. I have already shot both bumpers with alclad and they look ok. The R/M chassis fits fine.

Any pics ?

:lol: I I have the same kit that I am working on I got the chrome parts from Modelhaus he has the AMT parts and that's what the MCW kit is made from. and he moldes his taillights in and I wanted the clear red. You will have to cut the taillight bezel down because the one from modelhaus id the Impala and that goes around the side but it can be done. The rest of the kit I did use the REV 65 Chevy because when I got that one the 66 was not out yet. Good luck Rick.

Could you take a dead on side view photo of the body Ray? It looks like the belt line crease on the body has a terrible downward slope to it. I recognize the body being an AMT and the convertibles have that problem. I have a resin '66 Caprice that looks like it was in a rear end collision.

Here you go Roger. I never really noticed that slope till you pointed it out. I just compared it to photos of the real car I found on the web and sure enough the side on the model has a slope that is not on the real car. I wish I had not noticed this because now it is going to bother me. Oh well, thanks for pointing that out I guess I will have to live with it.

I don't see a photo. :blink: I still built my Caprice. But, I didn't put much work or effort into it. I left the hood molded in and built it as a curbside. It bugs me every time I look at it on the shelf though. Someday, I'll do my own conversion with the Revell kit. I want to do a Caprice and a Bel Air or Biscayne. I love the '66 Chevies. I owned a Caprice for about twenty-five years.

If it were me, I would get the Revell kit and swap the roofs. That way, you could use all of the Revell parts together. You would have nice chromed bumpers and a much more accurate body. The interior you have is definitely modified from a Revell kit. So, it will work with no problems.

The '66 will provide all of the parts you need. You won't need anything from the '65. I thought about trying to fix my Caprice. But, it would have taken more work to fix it than it would to start from scratch. I just slapped it together and went on to the next project. Sometimes, it's better to just go with what you have.

Beware , there are the Hagawasi run of '66 GM's out there . marked 1/24 on the Box . Re-pops of MPC Slot Cars . '66 Impala (actual '65 MY) , '66 Bonniville , '66 Calais . All had the same interior bucket . Dash decals made the different Cars . These interiors suck to say the least . Thanx ..

Thanks for the heads up. Resin parts are still soaking but I want to try and use a combination of resin and kit parts. If I use the resin interior I will have to at least swap part of the rear seat because my buddy's car has that chrome piece at the top. I think that is a speaker ?????

I have a MCW '66 too, and everything mentioned in this post is true. I am going to combine mine with either a Revell '65, or '66 Impala SS, as a Maryland State Police '66 Biscayne.

msp66-vi.jpg

I did this MCW '65 a few years back.

2007_0218MEETING21720070022.jpg

I recontoured the rear window, and re-did the tulip panel to a more correct shape.

2007_0317MEETING31720070006.jpg

2007_0218MEETING21720070020.jpg

I used the Monogram (Revell) 1965 Impala for the chassis and other parts, as well as the Model Car Garage Photoetch Set for the 1965 Impala, which includes "Biscayne" scripts.

Ray,

If you are using the interior from MCW, make sure you spend a lot of time test fitting it. The interior bucket will be too wide for the dash. You will need to sand the floor so that once the side panels are glued on the dash will reach both sides. I'm still messing with mine.

Won't that make the interior too narrow for the body ? Thinking of just going with the revell interior and just using the resin bench seat and perhaps the dash. This replica doesn't have to be exact just pretty close.