Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kits you have, that you will never build

It might have been brought up before, but Im kinda new, and was curious. Do you have any kits that you just had to have, and you will never open and build. I only have a couple, but still, it seems to be kind of a shame that they will sit and do nothing. One of my kits is the 'Lil Gasser show truck kit. I did it as a kid, and even though Im better (I build them a lot slower than I did as a kid)now. I dont know that I will ever build it. Im a pack rat at heart though (I have tons of old Star Wars BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH in the rafters of the garage still boxed).

Whats your take?

Yes, I have an opened but sealed inside Barry Setzer Vega funnycar. Built one when I was a kid and it was one I had to have back ( have another one I bought as a started kit,, that one is finished and in the display case)

I have several others that are stay sealed kits of kits I I had back then but nothing high dollar

Yes. I think I've bought a lot of my stash with intent to build, but things change. You move on to other likes and stuff gets pushed to the back of the shelf.

With the rate we build (10 a year would be optimistic) and the way we buy (50 a year would be conservative) never the two will meet.

I've got quite a few that I have no intention of ever building as they are replacements for ones that I had in years gone by. I prefer to buy a built up that either needs to be striped and redone or one that I like and is well done enough to display.

Some of the unbuilt kits that I can think of right now are:

1966 Dodge Polara convertible ( i have a 1:1 '65 Monaco convertible ) and a rebuilder kit that I bought off Ebay

1962 Fairlane ( have a started one that hopefully will get done - would love to convert one of those to a four door sedan.. )

AMT/ERTLE Peterbilt Wrecker ( bought a buil;t up in a cloolection a few years ago )

Johan Jadillac Hearse

plus a bunch more... Looking at what many of these older kits sell for makes me ill and many of the ones that I want sell for more than I can justify spending on something to sit on a shelf in the box now. It seems the model car hobby is going the way of the 1:1 car hobby and people just want huge dollars for anything thatthey even think just might be old. Oh well... <_<<_<<_<

LOL, I bought a still sealed Gunze Sangyo Ferrari 250 GTO kit with the v12 engine for 120.00. I also bought the Gunze Sangyo Daytona Cobra still factory sealed for 110.00.......the first thing i did to both, i opened them and started planning what i wanted to do with them. No kit in my collection will stay unbuilt. If i feel i dont want to build it anymore i will sell it.

I have 6 sealed 1/16th dukes of hazzard General Lee kits that I had ideas for, but now will probably never get built. I have several kits tha I opened but are sealed inside that I decided not to work on for various reasons. The Munsters cars in the collectable tin, the Snake/Mongoose combo, and several others that I will probably not get to.

I always get a kick out of the posts from guys, "I have 10 unbuilt kits, I'd better get working!" Like it's a job or something and that unfinished work pile is a lot of pressure for them.

The pressure I felt a few years ago was that I was out of room. And the solution? I bought a bigger house! :D

I buy models I want to build. I also buy stuff I just want to see what's in the box. I buy some stuff just because it's a bargain. And other stuff just because it's cool to own. Yea, it's a collection and I don't care if I ever build them. But when I get inspiration from a specific 1:1 vehicle, I like to have the kit on hand.

And in the end, I may wind up selling the entire hoard. No biggie. I'd have enjoyed owning it all and would be getting the value back out of it. I have kits with $5 marked on them that are now $50-100 kits. The other option is that I'll up and croak. Then it's no longer my problem! :P

I always get a kick out of the posts from guys, "I have 10 unbuilt kits, I'd better get working!" Like it's a job or something and that unfinished work pile is a lot of pressure for them.

The pressure I felt a few years ago was that I was out of room. And the solution? I bought a bigger house! :D

I buy models I want to build. I also buy stuff I just want to see what's in the box. I buy some stuff just because it's a bargain. And other stuff just because it's cool to own. Yea, it's a collection and I don't care if I ever build them. But when I get inspiration from a specific 1:1 vehicle, I like to have the kit on hand.

And in the end, I may wind up selling the entire hoard. No biggie. I'd have enjoyed owning it all and would be getting the value back out of it. I have kits with $5 marked on them that are now $50-100 kits. The other option is that I'll up and croak. Then it's no longer my problem! :P

Model king Hemi under glass. I bought it because I'm in the stands on the cover.

I have a Bandai Fiat X 1/9 that I won't build until i get another one. and the same for an old AMT 67 Galaxie. I'm always on the hunt for a second one, so I can build one and always know I have one.

Edited by Jeff Johnston