Model Cars Magazine Forum

Koenig Specials Competition

mrm

This is an old Fujimi kit from their deal with Koenig Specials. They made quite few of his cars, but this is by far my favorite. I saw the real car at the Geneva Auto Salon in 1990 and it left me speechless. The one I saw was red with blue interior. I flipped the color combo, as one like this actually exist and it is in Japan I believe.

The model is not very detailed and some of the pieces are pain to make fit seamlessly, but I think it turned out nice.

koz8.jpg

2q7s.jpg
w632.jpg
sikk.jpg
d1d8.jpg
clc8.jpg
The model is box stock other than the aftermarket belts and flocking on the floor.
ybxm.jpg

Thank you Bruce. The color is actually cheap nail polish. The engine and interior are Tamiya Italian red and the roll cage is plain white, for which I just cleaned up the mold lines and cleared the kit's plastic. It is molded all in white. I am working on the Porsche 928 equivalent from the same series. My kid already picked a red nailpolish for it. LOL. People sometimes give me strange looks when I look at length at the nail polish department in the store and sometimes try a color on my thumb nail. Especially when I'm by myself.

That color scheme is eye-catching.

I think that everything about a 1000hp twin turbo Ferrari Testarossa with a wide body is eye catching. No matter what color it is painted. Willy Koenig made quite few of these monsters. Most known examples ended in Japan somehow.

Thank you guys. I would like to put together all the Koenigs, or at least the famous ones. The 928 I am working now and it should be done within a week. I had the convertible testarossa, but it got destroyed in my house ordeal, so I'll have to get a new one. Then there is a Porsche 911 and a Mercedes Benz SL500. That's what is made in 1:24 that I know of. The Ferrari 512BBi is only in 1:16 and so is the Lamborghini Countach. The one I want the most, no one ever made into a model i any scale from any material - the BMW 850. That thing had a monster twin turbo V12. The Sultan of Brunei had at least one, which last I knew was for sale.

Really love your color combo and the build is clean too! Great job!!

I totally ruined one of these kits when I was young and impatient......glad to see it built crisp and clean.

Oh and BTW, I frequent the nail polish aisle from time to time so I know exactly what you mean. ;)

I've got the roadster version,partially completed.I haven't decided on a paint scheme yet but it's not staying white.I'm leaning toward a darker color to try to minimize the bulky appearance of the car.But I may go bright in color,ala the Miami Vice era of the car.