Model Cars Magazine Forum

'66 Chrysler 300

StevenGuthmiller

This kit is my "Holy Grail"! I've been looking for a 1966 Chrysler 300 hard top for several years & when I found this one, I bit the bullet & spent way too much to buy it! :unsure: As I'm sure you all know, these kits are extremely hard to find & priced at a premium when you do find them. So, now that I've "busted the bank" I'm going to do my best to enjoy the build. It's never been painted & all of the parts to build a stock kit are there. I believe I can even fore go the re-chroming of any parts. everything looks quite nice. The only issue is one broken vent post which will be easily repaired. My plan at this point is a factory stock build painted "Spanish Red" with a white top & a black & white interior. I think I'm going to go with a set of rally wheels also. Saw a few pics online of one wih them & thought it looked very sharp! Not exactly sure if it was a factory option in '66, but the look is great!

Steve

Looking forward to your build of this beautiful Chrysler. It's also nice to see someone other than Ron Hamilton doing it...He seems to have just about every scarce kit around, just ask him, LOL. Don't be offended or surprised if he posts a photo(s) of his own 66 300 build. No offense meant, Ron. The color scheme you are doing was indeed available from the factory, so go for it! Fury3

Edited by fury3

Steve, good to see this one being built! I have one of these too, but it's anyone's guess as to when I'd ever get around to building it.

And yes, these are rare. If/when they do show up on eBay, there's a feeding frenzy in regards to bidding! I've seen some of these go for really crazy prices! Look no further than what the promos are selling for...............it can literally empty out your wallet. :rolleyes:

Steve I to have one of these kits in my closet to build. I agree with everyone these kits can go for a lot on eBay. I got luckily when I found mine that was still factor sealed. I like your color selection and looking at the 66 brochure it does not show the rally wheels. Here is a link for the brochure if you need it.

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA/Chrysler_and_Imperial/1966_Chrysler/1966_Chrysler_Brochure/1966%20Chrysler-06-07.html

My wallets feeling a little light right now! :) Although, It didn't kill me. This one was minus the box & all of the custom parts So I was spared the "sealed kit" prices, but it still wasn't cheap. I had been waiting a long time just to find a restorable built kit, but they seem to be non-existant. All I could ever find was either un-built or promos. So I guess I should consider myself lucky that I found this one.

Steve

It causes me wonder why, when a particular kit always sells for major dollars, some resin caster doesn't produce one. Some of that Johan stuff just goes crazy and with the flurry of excitement and bidding, it should be fairly obvious that there is a market for some of these kits. I dunno - it just don't make any sense to me... there is obviously a market so hellooooo?????????? At least this car fell into good hands where it will be worthy of being a museum piece denoting days gone by when cars had character and class and were a reflection of their owner. I've had several '66's and had I been able to keep them, I'd never have gotten rid of them. They a very nicely designed automobile.

There are some resin casters that do a lot of these old Johan kits Gary. Modelhaus has a lot of them. Personally, I tend to shy away from resin unless it was never available in plastic. I would much rather work with styrene. Some times you can get a nice restorable kit for less than you would pay for a resin kit. I picked up very nice re-builders of the '60 Dodge, '60 Plymouth & '61 New yorker, just to name a few, for less than Modelhaus was selling their resin counterparts. All depends on what you're looking for. These '63-'67 Chrysler 300s.....not so much! :)

Steve

My very first car in high school was a red '67 Chrysler 300 hardtop, (also have that kit, just have to build it now) Bought it at a junk yard for $200.00. Overhauled the engine, gave it a fresh paint job & drove it for sevral years. Last I heard, some one had bought it from the guy I sold it to, & restored it. Sure woul be cool to see it again. This is the only photo I have of it. A small, bad, grainy polaroid.

Steve

And here's what I am going to do with it.

i058580.jpg

Britt Reid's convertible from the Green Hornet TV Series.

Slick! Are you going to make a rotating garage floor display with the Black Beauty?

14040075262_0c156d2558_o.gif

(Dammit, Kato, I told you to fix that thing!)

Edited by ChrisBcritter