Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius `65 Plymouth Satellite

• 1 month later...

Steve and Jesse: While I don't know the particulars in this case, I do know that Moebius is generally tooling 3-5 kit versions of each new tool, right out of the box (that is, the tooling for all versions of a specific kit tool - like the '65 Satellite - is done up front, at one time).

So you can pretty well surmise that there will eventually be other versions of the '65 Satellite, probably spread a year or so apart for each version.

If the Satellite is done similarly to the way they are approaching the different versions of the '67-'72 Ford Bumpside, the '61 Pontiac Ventura and Catalina, and at least one other kit yet to be mentioned in this level of detail, I suspect that there will be much to love, eventually, about various future versions of this Satellite kit.

TIM

Edited by tim boyd

If the Satellite is done similarly to the way they are approaching the different versions of the '67-'72 Ford Bumpside, the '61 Pontiac Ventura and Catalina, and at least one other kit yet to be mentioned in this level of detail, I suspect that there will be much to love, eventually, about various future versions of this Satellite kit.

TIM

there is also the 65 Comet.

…..and at least one other kit yet to be mentioned in this level of detail……...

TIM

Was this a slip of the (cyber)tongue about something from Mobius we don't know about? B)

It must be a challenge to keep info quiet 4-8 months before it can be disclosed….. :rolleyes:

Steve and Jesse: While I don't know the particulars in this case, I do know that Moebius is generally tooling 3-5 kit versions of each new tool, right out of the box (that is, the tooling for all versions of a specific kit tool - like the '65 Satellite - is done up front, at one time).

So you can pretty well surmise that there will eventually be other versions of the '65 Satellite, probably spread a year or so apart for each version.

TIM

Seriously speaking here: Any more, these days, it's a pretty rare thing for any model kit manufacturer to hang it all out on a new kit subject with just one version possible. The economics of developing, tooling and producing a new model kit just don't allow that to happen, profitably, very much these days.

Art

true, but on such a race car, very little would be common with the street version.

That's why I don't expect Moebius to do an AWB kit. But these cars were factory efforts and used more stock parts than you would think. I built a resin 65 Dodge AWB, and the rest came from one Lindberg 64 Dodge kit. Although the chassis gets sliced and diced it is pure 65 Mopar.