Model Cars Magazine Forum

'59 Edsel

StevenGuthmiller

Yes Charlie. The uphlostery pattern was done with just masking tape & paint. Pretty simple pattern, but very time consuming. A lot of very thin pieces of tape! :) The scripts on the rear quarter & the Edsel lettering on the hood were done before the last color coat Doug & then cleaned off with a little thinner before clear coats. Steve

I've been quietly watching the builds that you have posted over the last while Steve, and I have not commented because words simply fail me and I just look on in awe at your talent and craftsmanship. Your choices of colors are always beautiful and always look - well - they look right on the subject.

I like these Edsels - especially the roof line which is the same as the Fairlane Club Victoria two door hard tops - a not so often seen model as opposed to the mid year introduced Galaxie with it's thick C pillar and "Thunderbird roof line". Personally, I much prefer the wrap around back glass as it gives these cars more of a timeless 50's, stylish look plus, IMHO, it is just prettier. The cars of that era will always reflect the golden years of Detroit, in my ever to be humble opinion.

This Edsel is - to put it mildly - simply gorgeous and a worthy tribute to an era gone by and a time when automobile designing came from the mind, heart and soul of a human being rather than a computer. Cars today are just - cars - tools to get you from A to B. Just look at the shapeless blobs on a parking lot. There will never again be anything built that will radiate the beauty and style that cars of the 50's and 60's did. We have really lost something important in these fast paced, generic days but your builds always rekindle the flame of fondness for those days. I never grow weary of looking at your creations Steve. You are an inspiration to us all on this board. :)

Wow Gary! I'm not sure what to say except thank you! I agree with you 100% I Haven't been excited about the design of any car in many many years. Even the much nicer looking modern muscle cars, (ie. Camaros, Challengers, Mustangs) don't really do a thing for me. To me, they're just "warmed over" designs that have already been done. The class of the cars from the 40s-60s is gone and, I fear, will never return. Thank you Gary for you're very kind words! :) Steve

Gary and Steve, I wholeheartedly agree with you both about the beauty and styling of cars in the 1950's. Hence my desire to build every American manufacturers car for each year of the 50's. I've got quite a few done already but I have a long way to go. Keep up the great work.

I would love to do the same Richard, & I've also been working towards that goal. Unfortunately, The kit manufacturers have left us with far too many holes from that era, some of which will probably never be filled. I would love to see a '56 Desoto Adventurer, or a '57 Buick kit some day, but I'll tell you, I'm not gonna hold my breath! The resin casters can fill some of these holes, but I'm afraid some of the great old cars of the 50s will never see 1/25th scale. :( Steve

I spent the past two days failing miserably at tinting the glass on this build! I can't quite figure out the malfunction, but I've come to the conclusion that this old glass was never meant to be painted. After several attempts which ended with everything from "fogging" to "beading" I've decided this one is gonna have clear glass. Tried two different types of paint with two different delivery methods, (airbrush & spray can) and got several results. None of which were good. I've tinted glass on kits in the past & have had few issues. I even tested the Testors clear black I was going to use on this one on a scrap windshield with terrific results. When I tried it on the '59......No go!! Oh well, I built models for 40 years without tinting the glass & never had an problem with it. :) Steve

I would love to do the same Richard, & I've also been working towards that goal. Unfortunately, The kit manufacturers have left us with far too many holes from that era, some of which will probably never be filled. I would love to see a '56 Desoto Adventurer, or a '57 Buick kit some day, but I'll tell you, I'm not gonna hold my breath! The resin casters can fill some of these holes, but I'm afraid some of the great old cars of the 50s will never see 1/25th scale. :( Steve

Steve, I wonder how much of a market there would be for the more obscure cars? How about a Hudson Hornet? Now there's one that os wayyyyyyyyyyy of the beaten path and it has been received fairly well. I know that the manufacturers can only do so much, but they have to be told what is wanted and it is up to us to let them know. If you want to talk off beat - I'm still waiting for someone to come out with a '59 Chevy four door wagon... *sighs wistfully* now there's one that ain't ever going to enter even the realm of fantasy as far as being released...

But you have to admit that those cars from back then have a charisma and beauty that will never be matched again. And that is because they were designed by a himan being with a heart and soul as opposed to a computer. So why not a 57 Buick? Or a 56 Desoto? I think that the Hudson is a lot more - uh - well, let's just say were that car a person and a female, that I'd have voted her the girl least likely.. :unsure: yet there it is...

Like I said some where on this forum before Gary, I believe a lot of what the model companies are doing is producing kits that they can do over & over again in slightly different configurations to maximize profit. With the new Mobius kits the recipe seems to be factory stock & racing vesions. Every kit they've produced so far has been closely followed by a race version. Nothing wrong with that mind you. They need to make a profit to stay in business, but that's where the decision lies "not" to do a '59 Chevy wagon. Not a real good candidate for a custom & nobody ever raced them. Although, Revell could do one with a minimum of new tooling from their hardtop & convertible kits. I think they do listen to some extent. I've seen a few model car surveys done by the companies. Problem is, in this day & age, the '57 Buicks get booted in favor for some new super car kit. :( Steve

First off great build it brings back very fond memories of me sliding around on the plastic covered back seat of my grandpa's blue and white edsel ranger. Also when some lady ran into it and his response was "well s*** she ruined my horse collar"