Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tornadic storms are forecast for the Chicagoland area.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/

Dangerous storms are predicted from Arkansas and reaching north up to Northern Missouri. Please keep an eye out on the sky and listen to the news. If there is a tornado coming towards you, and you do not have a storm shelter, go to the lowest part of your house, or the center of your house. if you have a windowless bathroom, get into the bathtub and cover yourself with blankets and lay down as low as you can get.

If you are in a vehicle, DO NOT try to outrun a tornado! The safest plce to hide is in a solid concrete building or a city tornado shelter. If you are out in an open area, find a ditch to lay in. Tornadoes have been strong enough to toss trains a quarter of a mile, a car is never safe!

Edited by Custom Hearse

Tornadoes have been strong enough to toss trains a quarter of a mile, a car is never safe!

And if someone believes the car is safe, just look at the 80,000 LB rig in Marshall's signature picture!!!! :o

Even if it was empty, that truck would still be tipping the scales at just under 35,000 LBS, and if it or a train can be tossed around like a Hot Wheels taking flight to the toy box, your 3000 LB car would be like a leaf in the breeze!

Exactly....best advise is to take shelter soon as weather starts to look bad or a warning for a tornado or severe thunderstorm has been issued. I have been in them there nothing to play around with they have un-imaginable power to destroy anything and some hit without warning like ours did. Better safe than sorry or worse.

I grew up, lived and worked in St Louis dodging tornadoes. We lost our front porch in 1967, we were lucky, houses down the street were destroyed. I saw two 18 wheelers turned over on the I 270 "Chain of Rocks" bridge in 2006 just before I retired and moved away. Between those dates I spent countless times in the basement waiting. Several of my coppers went to Joplin and saw that devastation first hand.

Tornadoes are no fun and not something to be trifled with.

I pray for the current victims.

G

I am from minnesota (near minneapolis) top of Tornado Alley, now I live in the "gulf" of mexico south Mississippi we did not get twisters, but had some really bad storms with frequent lightning and thunder, dangerous straight wind gusts upto 60 mph and trenchal rains Not pensacola rain, but bad enough so now i'm at risk of hurricanes, and tornados :blink: Mother nature has been no joke lately last year or 2 bad storms during warm wether and this past winter was crazy in most places!

I think you might be right Joe...kind of looks like a crew cab maybe? In 2011 when we had one here we had power poles with blades of grass embedded in them and some of the bricks on my house..there was a large branch from an apple tree on our trucks hood...no one within 2 blocks of me has an apple tree.

You're probably correct Joe. The pic was sent to me by a friend and he told me it was a minivan.

Wayne, here is a video I took 6 weeks after the tornado. Your fellow officers saw much worse. I waited until the worst was over...

Edited by Custom Hearse

I'm not that familiar with Joplin, but when you know what was there, then see that, well it just makes you cringe. That wadded up car, holy moly!

I was ordered to remain and run the district, but my BFF sent daily updates. Sadly, she was killed last year on her farm due to blizzard conditions.

Ironic isn't it?

G

Sorry to hear that Wayne! It's hard to lose a friend. You definitely have my condolences.

The tornado that hit Joplin broke records. I lived there from 2003 until 2011, and moved out a couple of months before the tornado. A total of 161 people died as a result, and I knew 48. A lot of them were close friends, and it hurts to know when I couldn't help them.

I lived in Oak Lawn Illinios back in 1967. We were hit by a very powerful tornado. It threw buses from the bus barn around like toys. Leveled many homes and stores. Took a huge "bite" of my high school Oak Lawn Community High School. Luckily it happend late afternoon on a Friday. There wasn't many kids at the school. Had it hit earlier many kids could have been hurt or killed.

Wednsday and Thursday possible hail, damaging winds and tornadoes.

So what else is new?

You can just supply a generic weather report for the midwest that would be accurate about half the time: Thunderstorms, damaging winds, hail, possibility of tornados.

It's the same old story around here every year.

Actually Harry, I'm not providing a forecast, I'm making mention that my area has a prediction for inclimate weather. This is my version of the "S word post". I'm interested in weather reports from where everyone is located, and to let everyone know about being safe. I don't want to lose any friends on here that I might have been able to direct to safety. I've been a spotter for the National Weather Service since 1999, and my main goal is to save lives, not to make a half and half prediction. People constantly ignore sirens, never watch the news, never even turn on a radio during tornadic weather, and end up being killed. I've seen videos where people drive right into tornadoes not realizing there is one there. If I can help a few people save their lives by letting them know about tornado safety, then I can breath a sigh of relief...

I'll bet not too many people know that Bing Crosby's real name is Harry Lillis Crosby, Jr.

Several were reported up here in northern colorado on wensday so they held us at school for an extra 20-30 minutes but no damage and no injuries so thats good since then its been rainy and cold started snowing this morning while me and dad were at walmart picking up some chichen fried steak and hash browns and some other stuff so hopefully it stopls snowing and raining because the last thing this state needs is another flood althogh our town has a family dollar now but that wont help if trucks cant deliver