Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mercedes 300SL Gullwing

Cien1986

By wheel slots, I mean the 8 holes that run in a circle around the center. I think they look fine the way they are.

What's going to get tricky is those very fat hubcaps, and they would take a lot of work to correct. As for me, I'd make racing wheels with knock-off spinners. The raised, sharp inner edges of the wheels around the center, where the hubcaps are glued, would have to be sanded and smoothed, then a tube with a flange mounted over the spindle, and 2-eared spinners would have to be made. I'm sure you already have wheel reference as to how that should look. Other than the things you're already working on (grille, front wheel track), the hubcaps and body seams are the most obvious exterior problems.

i don't make hole in that wheel slot hahahahaha....

as you said i already have the references how the hub cap should look.....

but still no idea... how to fix it correctly....

the body seam is terrible... i will try my best to cover it...

but now still struggling fixing the engine and detailing the engine a bit...

i really want to move the water tank behind... but if i move it..

1. the fitting problem of the air box will be very tight and i don't know if it will fit well.... still figuring out..

2. the front part of the engine bay will look empty because missing the water tank...

3. to correct no 2 i need to scratch build the air filter to replace the water tank places.

this is only my assumption

what do you think Skip?

Regarding moving the water tank, the front of the engine bay is already too empty because the engine isn't long enough. If you move the engine forward, it could possibly interfere with the steering, depending on how far you take it. However, I think there's enough opportunity to move things around by a few millimeters. Test fit the water tank where it should go (keeping it on the radiator/oil cooler is NOT AN OPTION), then see how much you need to do with the windshield washer bottle and the firewall. I think you really just need to put the intake silencer together with a scratch-built air filter and move it forward a bit. Another option is to create a water tank that fits in the space.

But the space between the front of the engine and the nose is really not particularly important, especially when the hood is open and obscures much of the front of the engine.

Regarding moving the water tank, the front of the engine bay is already too empty because the engine isn't long enough. If you move the engine forward, it could possibly interfere with the steering, depending on how far you take it. However, I think there's enough opportunity to move things around by a few millimeters. Test fit the water tank where it should go (keeping it on the radiator/oil cooler is NOT AN OPTION), then see how much you need to do with the windshield washer bottle and the firewall. I think you really just need to put the intake silencer together with a scratch-built air filter and move it forward a bit. Another option is to create a water tank that fits in the space.

But the space between the front of the engine and the nose is really not particularly important, especially when the hood is open and obscures much of the front of the engine.

moving it few millimeters... wont help the emptiness..

i will try to scratch build the air filter first for today..

i don't know if i can make it happen because i never scratch build any part before.. but let me try it

creating the water tank is one of the solution too but...

let me do the filter first...

here is my references pic... it have triangular shape i think

with some mesh...

112_0412_7z_gullwing_1954_mercedes_benz_

i don't know if this is original one or not..

Mesh should work. The filter canister is really a polka-dot series of round holes, but mesh would be a good choice at this scale. My plan was to build a shell out of cardboard and cover it with a scale print-out of something like the second picture or create my own pattern to print.

GWfilter1_zpsc6043123.jpg

GWfilter2_zpsd3c59e78.jpg

GWfiter3_zps7d84510c.jpg

Edited by sjordan2

Looks great. By the way, where's the heat shield between the intake and exhaust manifolds?

Its there i paint it with he same colour as exhaust...

now i regret it...

thinking to tear it down and sub with alu foil....

Edited by Cien1986

Its there i paint it with he same colour as exhaust...

now i regret it...

thinking to tear it down and sub with alu foil....

That shield shouldn't look chromed. It should be close to the finish of the intake manifold or slightly shinier, so just use a metallizer paint or the dull side of the foil.

Edited by sjordan2

That shield shouldn't look chromed. It should be close to the finish of the intake manifold or slightly shinier, so just use a metallizer paint or the dull side of the foil.

I will try to tear it down because evrything is glued...

Very nice. It looks like you put the water tank in the right place ;) and the windshield wiper bottle is extremely well done.

You might want to paint a matte black seal around the inner lip of the hood opening that the hood sits on, plus black lines around the window frames to indicate those seals.

What color do you intend to paint the interior?

Edited by sjordan2

Very nice. It looks like you put the water tank in the right place ;) and the windshield wiper bottle is extremely well done.

You might want to paint a matte black seal around the inner lip of the hood opening that the hood sits on, plus black lines around the window frames to indicate those seals.

What color do you intend to paint the interior?

i painted the lid wiper bottle... haha... but the picture is before painting

the water tank can fit there but still thinking how to fix it permanently...

the black lines around the window frames... any idea without using paint... afraid of destroying the body paint.....

for interior i just paint it with Matt black..

As for the black seal lines, there are a couple of ways to go on this kit.

-- Because the window frames stick out so far from the body, you could use a very fine black cord around the edges.

-- Otherwise a Pantone fine-point paint pen is a good choice. I'd mask around the windows. The problem to be careful of is the gaps between the frames and the body.