Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius at the NNL East

Since we're wishing for some sixties subjects, why not the Malibu version of the '64 Chevelle, not the SS version, the simple Malibu 2 door hardtop, bench seat four speed or powerglide, maybe both so we can have our choice. True that other company released a '64 Chevelle, but it was the SS, and in a simple semi promo style intended for junior modelers.

And there's also the lowly Pinto Sedans, there have only been two of them ever issued in a stock version, the small bumper '71 from AMT, and the large bumper '74, from MPC, and both were only issued as a one year issue with no reissues, the big bumper '74 was a deluxe trim version, and that body could be used to reissue both versions with an interior bucket swap, and front and rear valances and bumpers, see, a "twofer" two different years, one body mold, can't do many like that.

Art....did Dave give you your wayward Offy Midget at the NNL Motor City?  As you can see, I packed it for a serious move...hope everything turned out OK.  TIM 

Tim!  It sure did come back to me in pristine condition (you got enough toilet paper left at home after packing it?  ;) )  My sincere thanks for returning it, proof positive that we model car builders truly are a FRATERNITY!  Thanks again!

Art Anderson

• 2 weeks later...

Since we're wishing for some sixties subjects, why not the Malibu version of the '64 Chevelle, not the SS version, the simple Malibu 2 door hardtop, bench seat four speed or powerglide, maybe both so we can have our choice. True that other company released a '64 Chevelle, but it was the SS, and in a simple semi promo style intended for junior modelers.

Yes, a '64 Chevelle / Malibu would go on to the top of my list for sure. I'd prefer a 2 Door Sedan though, but I'd be happy either way.

But as far as I know there are no kits made of a '64 in decades. All I know is the Revell 1965...Have I missed something in here?

Yes, a '64 Chevelle / Malibu would go on to the top of my list for sure. I'd prefer a 2 Door Sedan though, but I'd be happy either way.

But as far as I know there are no kits made of a '64 in decades. All I know is the Revell 1965...Have I missed something in here?

I was referring to the Craftsman original release from AMT that's the only. '64 I'm aware of, and as I said it's an SS version, 

I was referring to the Craftsman original release from AMT that's the only. '64 I'm aware of, and as I said it's an SS version, 

Oh yeah I know that one. Too bad it's so hard to find. Well, hopefully we will see a new kit of one someday. I just got afraid that there was a newer kit too that I didn't know about.:D

Oh yeah I know that one. Too bad it's so hard to find. Well, hopefully we will see a new kit of one someday. I just got afraid that there was a newer kit too that I didn't know about.:D

MCW has a Malibu, and a Malibu 300 both in resin. The reason I'd like a standard Malibu is that my dad bought the first Chevelle in our city, and it was a Malibu, bench seat, four speed, posi traction, 283 power pack engine, and that's the car I learned to drive in, and also did a lot of dating in that car, but I really don't want to do it in resin, but will if I have to. 

We also ran a couple of Chevelle bodied '55 Chevy chassised dirt stock cars, and the first one was a '64, and it was halfway through the season before someone finally figured out why ours had the driver sitting farther back in the car and still had headroom, we used a 300 sedan and when we gutted the body shell, removed all the upper door and window frames making it appear more like a hardtop, but the 300 roof didn't have the drop down in the rear of the top like the Malibu hardtops did, when we switched to a '65 Malibu hardtop body for the next season it took some creative surgery on the sides of the car in taking some of the contour away and making it a little more slab sided to still get the headroom without lowering the cage, or moving the driver but no one ever figured that one out.

MCW has a Malibu, and a Malibu 300 both in resin. The reason I'd like a standard Malibu is that my dad bought the first Chevelle in our city, and it was a Malibu, bench seat, four speed, posi traction, 283 power pack engine, and that's the car I learned to drive in, and also did a lot of dating in that car, but I really don't want to do it in resin, but will if I have to. 

We also ran a couple of Chevelle bodied '55 Chevy chassised dirt stock cars, and the first one was a '64, and it was halfway through the season before someone finally figured out why ours had the driver sitting farther back in the car and still had headroom, we used a 300 sedan and when we gutted the body shell, removed all the upper door and window frames making it appear more like a hardtop, but the 300 roof didn't have the drop down in the rear of the top like the Malibu hardtops did, when we switched to a '65 Malibu hardtop body for the next season it took some creative surgery on the sides of the car in taking some of the contour away and making it a little more slab sided to still get the headroom without lowering the cage, or moving the driver but no one ever figured that one out.

Wow! I've visited on MCW website for many, many times and I've found tons of resin kits / bodies and parts that I need. But somehow I have missed that Malibu every time. Looks like I need to place an order to them while they have the correct 2D Sedan I'm looking for. The reason for that is that my dad bought a 4D Sedan '64 Malibu here in Finland in the '80s. Then American Cars were not very common in here and most of the US cars were the poorest versions (which often meant 4D Sedans with straight six and manual trans). His car was quite rusty, but he was going to turn it into a 2D Sedan with a powerful 327 SBC and 4 Speed. It never got finished, though, as rules for importing old cars changed critically and all the sudden it was cheaper to import old cars from the States as it was before. Soon there started to be some good looking '50s cars with lots of chrome, Hardtops, Convertibles etc. Then my dad imported a '60 Impala 2D HT from Texas in '88 and the car is still in our family. Malibu project had to be sold to get the money for that Impala, but I'd like to build a model that looked like his Malibu when done.

Cool story on the Dirt Track cars! Creativity is always a good thing!

Wow! I've visited on MCW website for many, many times and I've found tons of resin kits / bodies and parts that I need. But somehow I have missed that Malibu every time.

They are listed as Chevelle 300 2dr sedan.  CHE-64sd for the '64, CHE-65sd for the '65.   They also have the '64 and '65 Chevelle 300 2dr wagons.

They are listed as Chevelle 300 2dr sedan.  CHE-64sd for the '64, CHE-65sd for the '65.   They also have the '64 and '65 Chevelle 300 2dr wagons.

I have one of the two door wagon bodies I'm planning on putting on a Revell Z-16 chassis, and haven't decided yet but am thinking of using the injected 427 from the AMT '67 Impala kit for the engine since I have a flat hood for the Impala and it's destined to be a small block powered lowrider.

They also produce the two door hardtop '64 Malibu non SS version, and it has the bench seat that the car I learned to drive in and did a lot of my dating in had, it was cool having a bench seat and a four speed when dating, back then our dates actually wore dresses and skirts, even for a date at the drive in, for those who are to young to know what they are, imagine the biggest flat screen TV you can, and put it in a parking lot and invite ALL your friends over to watch it from their car. 

Edited by horsepower

Oh yeah, I should have paid more attention when I made that post... It was Chevelle I was going to write in there, but looks like I was thinking too much about Malibus when I posted that.:D

They also produce the two door hardtop '64 Malibu non SS version, and it has the bench seat that the car I learned to drive in and did a lot of my dating in had, it was cool having a bench seat and a four speed when dating, back then our dates actually wore dresses and skirts, even for a date at the drive in, for those who are to young to know what they are, imagine the biggest flat screen TV you can, and put it in a parking lot and invite ALL your friends over to watch it from their car. 

I'm still a bit mad that I missed American Graffiti Drive In Movie here in Finland last summer. If it wasn't at the same time as the Drag Race event where I was racing, I would have definitely been there with my '60 Impala. Maybe it would have been possible to get one or two friends there with me to watch it.

Okay. I went to MCW resin site. It's no Modelhaus. But, good enough to add a book mark for future reference. Once the holidays are over, I may have to pick up one of their '50 fastback Olds bodies. That's the car my parents had when they drove me home from the hospital. I bought the Revell kit several years ago and have done nothing with it. Maybe MCW's fastback will get me motivated to finish one.