Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius at the NNL East

Well, I got to sleep in my own bed last night, I put 1900 miles on my faithful Mercury Grand Marquis between last Thursday morning and yesterday evening. Had a great time in New Jersey at the NNL East!

First of all, Thanks to the guys at the NNL East for inviting us to show our wares.

Secondly, Thanks to everyone who stopped by our tables, thank you in particular for your patience while we work to get long- delayed kits on store shelves.

Now, for a quick summary of the car kit schedule; before we go too far, PLEASE REMEMBER that most of the dates given here are my best estimates. As always these schedules are subject to slippage we are dealing in test shots to be reviewed and to licensor approvals, beyond the first item none of these have finished packaging etc. This is a general summary of the schedule as I see it today.

• The Tim Flock 1956 Chrysler 300 B is in production now – it will ship from the factory on 5/30 – should be on store shelves by end of June. I may have said it was on the water – I miss-spoke. That kit is completed and in production now and will be on the way 5/30
  • The 1969 short bed and 1971 Standard bed Ford Pick-ups are in second test shots – the one example we had at the show arrived in New Jersey the day before I did. I am expecting a box with more test shots from the factory, yet this week – I’ll be sending samples to Ford for their approval and will be building test shots in the next few days and reviewing them to make sure that all needed corrections have been made. If there are no surprises – we’ll be able to start production. Package design and instruction sheets as well as decals still need to be designed for those kits – so earliest shipping will be end of summer
  • 1954 Hudson Hornet Club Coupe and Hornet Special Club Sedan – We showed 1st test shots of those kits at the NNL. Again that test shot arrived at the hotel a day before I did. I am waiting for a box of test shots from the factory so I can send samples to the licensor and build examples for review. These look really good and I could only find minor details that need to be corrected when I looked at them during the show. We need to do box art and instructions etc. – I’d say that they’ll come along 30-45 days after the Pickup trucks –
  • 1961 Pontiacs – I have a final tooling mock-up that arrived here two days before I needed to be on the road to New Jersey – I hope to review it as soon as I get caught up from the week-end. If there are no nasty surprises there, we’ll be able to start tooling on those kits – I’d like to think we could see kits ready to ship by late October
  • 1965 Comets – I’m waiting for a replacement for a final tooling Mock-up that arrived here two weeks ago as a crushed pile of parts – Like the Pontiac, if there are no nasty surprises in the mock-up we could start tooling – best guess there is that it might be possible to ship kits in December
  • 1965 Plymouth Satellites – this project is with a new factory – they seem to move at a much faster pace than or other factory – If they can keep to their schedule I could have test shots at the end of August or beginning of September and finished kits by the end of the year.

Thanks again for your support and for your patience.

Dave Metzner

New Product Manager

Moebius Models

Hello Dave!!!!

Really wish I could have made the trip to NJ.......are you going to attend Toledo Ohio (Slyvannia) in Oct??? I am going to attend this year.

Thanks for taking the time to lay out the schedule for this year.......can't wait for the 54 Hudson's.......the best of the 50's IMHO.

I beg to differ with Harry.

Not just good news, but GREAT news!!

TONS of great new products ~ quality new products ~ being brought to the hobby market by real hobbyists who've carved out their place as leaders in the industry!

Bring 'em on, Dave! What a great product line!

I beg to differ with Harry.

Not just good news, but GREAT news!!

TONS of great new products ~ quality new products ~ being brought to the hobby market by real hobbyists who've carved out their place as leaders in the industry!

Bring 'em on, Dave! What a great product line!

Yes, I agree

I am looking forward to the Ford trucks and the Pontiacs. Long overdue subjects and from looking at the test shots at NNL East, you guys are doing them right. Also glad to see that one of them has a 6 cyl in it like a lot of the old Fords actually had.

Dave, is there any chance of ever seeing parts packs from Moebius? I would love to have 6 or 8 of the hemi's from the Chrysler kits and would bet that they would be a good seller and I think that the 6 cyl from the Ford truck would also sell well as a stand alone item. Probably just wishful thinking but a person can always hope.

Dave,

It was very nice talking to you at the NNL East. The '69 and '71 Ford Pickup truck test shots looked great to me, I wish I had taken some photos of them. The 61 Catalina is a natural spin off of the Ventura and I can foresee some easy Super Stock drag possibilities. The Ace Wilson Royal Pontiac come to mind.

The big surprise to me was the 65 Plymouth Satellite, I can foresee all kinds of variations, NASCAR, Super Stock and Stock models.

Lindberg missed the boat by not converting their 64 Belvedere a long time ago.

Great job all around !

-Steve

Edited by SteveG

It was a ton of fun accompanying Dave to the NNL and back again (hope he had as much fun as I did--only got him lost once in Wayne--funny story about that for some other time).

There was nothing like the "shock & awe" when those first attendee's walked up to the Moebius tables and they finally spotted the "stand-up" poster with new model kit announcements in which that '65 Plym was sorta hiding. And, the puzzlement on faces as modelers tried to process not just one '54 Hudson, but two of them. And the almost collective sighs of relief as modelbuilders came to realize that those long-awaited Ford pickups were right there (in test shots of course) in complete 3-dimensions.

Thanks, Dave, for the opportunity and the privilege!

Art

Well, so much for my promise to Cathie that I am going to lay off the new kits and work at thinning down the stash. (I have agreed to build two kits for every one I buy!) Since I have a copy or two of almost everything made since the '80s I figured it would be pretty easy. I would have to sneak in a few Ford trucks, and maybe a really old reissue or two. (like the Demon) Now, I have to account for two different Pontiacs, two Hudsons and a bunch of Comets and Satellites. The worst part is that you will probably make racing versions of most of them and a few extra body styles too. By the time I sneak all of these into the house, you will be announcing next year's kits and there will be some that I GOTTA have...(Infinite loop of model buying?) The good news is that at least one person in the house will be happy.

Thanks, Dave, for wrecking my (almost) happy home! :P

BTW, I plan to be at Toledo this October. Hopefully I will get to see the display in person. Also Cathie says I can have extra Ford trucks if I build a replica of her Father's from when she was a kid.

Thanks for the updates Dave and while slightly disappointed that the Ford trucks aren't going to be ready until late summer, they are worth the wait based on the pictures!

Glad to see you stepping up and offering some much needed kits and wish you much success with them.

Dave, thanks so much for bringing Moebius to NNL East. The very first post I saw after the show was about your news so you were a big hit. It was nice having dinner with you and Art afterwards as well and learning about your long distinguished career in the hobby business! We do hope you return every year!

Edited by Tom Geiger

I have the same problem - my build to buy ratio is out of sync. I've accepted the fact that I'll never live long enough to build everything in my stash, I resolved tobuy fewer kits and to sell off a big chunk of the herd three years ago - so far I've gotten the buy sell ratio to about 2 kits sold for one kit bought. At this rate It'll take about 100 years to achieve the reduction that I envisioned.

Most of my stash is aircraft kits - I need to load a big pile up and get to an IPMS show and get a table to sell them off..Or better yet call one of the dealers I know and have him come haul about 1/3 of this stuff away!

Truth be told I think that most of us struggle with "too many kits- not enough time"

For me , Mobius is a blessing . You look at a drive in, a service station , a store front and what do you see? it's NOT 32 Ford roadsters , Top line 57 Chevrolet Bel Air coupes . Nope , one sees a wide variety of automobiles . Since I do mostly dioramas , I do builds suited to each one on an individual basis .