Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius at the NNL East

Dave, thank you for sharing your insider information with us on the board here. It's a pleasant surprise to have someone in your position not only actively participating on a forum like this, but giving candid responses to people's questions whenever possible.

Although not all of Moebius' upcoming releases interest me personally (such as the Ford pickups), I can see from others' posts on this forum that there is strong demand for these kits, and Moebius is obviously doing their research to confirm what kind of market there is for these upcoming releases. I have recently purchased the Chrysler and Hudson kits, and was very pleased by the quality, so I'm looking forward to these new releases.

You have to realize that the plastic model market industry is a nitch market and the tooling is exorbitant for anything these days be it a F-14 or a new Corvette, It's a business which I have been occasionally involved with for decades off and on, everybody has a wish list and we as modelers do get what we want sometimes, but from a business side you have to look at how much you can get in variations on your tooling and maximize your return on investment, that is why Round two is doing just that instead of the hundreds of thousands of dollars for a complete new tool,It's important to the model companies to have our general input but like Moebius or Tamiya etc, they do research to see what the potential market is for a new product, so when you write I want to see this or that you need to ask yourself how many others would buy it and does it justify say a quarter of a million dollars to tool up a new kit to sell say a few hundred kits .We are so lucky that model companies are still here look at the diecast industry, you can't give die cast away for the most part, that's why most drag and nascar teams don't even produce a 10th of what they did 10 years ago, the cost and licensing is gone out of site on many things, So when you see any new product it's great thing, and Moebius is carving a great place for it's self with the new products, It just bugs me when things are announced it's never enough to some "but I want this or that".I'm just glad that we still have this industry around they keep giving us some great stuff, will i ever build my 3000 kits I have "NO"but I can dream.. Ok off my soapbox LOL

I'm not going to bore Dave, or anyone else with what I'd like to see tooled. That's really not important right now, as Dave has mentioned. The following has been mentioned before, but I want to clearly state it again. What Moebius is offering us that is new and refreshing is a company that is listening to our wants and needs, and has raised the bar on quality substantualy. The beautiful/correct tires, bodies that are mostly tooled correctly, careful consideration to packaging, the list can go on. Since Revell is the only major model car manufacturer that has been releasing any new tooling as of late, (Round 2 is still restoring the old toolings...thankfully!) they (Revell) need to re-group and discuss their business practices if they want to be competitive. If Moebius keeps on the same path they are on, I can only see success in their future. Revell, seems to be run by the "bean counters". It's a stated fact that the last major automobile manufacture that did business in that form was General Motors. Look what almost happened to them( :unsure: and is currently with the ignition lock recalls). By the way, thanks Moebius. I'm buying most of your factory stock kits simply because you are the new (and needed) trendsetters of this hobby. Fury3

Despite having other kits I'd like to see tooled by Moebius or others in the future. I'm very happy with what Moebius has done so far (both in cars and sci fi subjects). Every Moebius kit I've purchased so far, I've been very happy with. I'm looking forward to the '65 Comet Cyclone, both Ford pickups, the '61 Ventura, and the '65 Plymouth. If they keep doing kits like these. I'll keep spending my money on them. Thanks Moebius.

Scott Aho

For whatever it's worth, I just sent my list of comments on the tooling model of the Pontiac to our factory yesterday. Got the model packed and ready to send back on Monday - I don't think that any of the revisions to be done are really major.. Hopefully we can get tooling started in the next couple weeks - after revisions to the tooling model..

I have the revised tooling model for the 65 Comet sitting here as well as the first body for the 65 Plymouth - I hope to have revision notes for the Plymouth body done this evening.

Then the mail man brought a box full of Ford Pick-up test shots this morning.

So 65 Comet Mock-up review on Monday and probably Tuesday - then on to the Ford Pick-up test shots. Hope to be building Ford pick-up test shots by mid-week.. Like to think that I'll have notes on the Ford test shots to the factory by the 13th or 14th I should have 54 Hudson first test shots soon, as well..

Going to be really busy for the next couple weeks!

Gotta go cut the box that the Mail Man brought open!

Keep up the good work Dave. I will be patiently waiting for all of these. I have already read most of the 300 plus page thread on the H.A.M.B. on 64-65 drag racing Comet photos. I have no shortage of ideas... (BTW that thread should be mandatory reading for anybody purchasing a Comet kit)

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=335534

I don't know if you have to be logged in to see the pictures or not. Some of the earlier pictures in the thread have disappeared, but there is plenty of eye candy.

Now, I have to find threads or pictures of the Pontiacs.

I can't wait to see them all. This might not be a big surprise for anyone who knows me, but both, the Pontiac and the Comet will be built as Drag Cars when they're out. The Pontiac will make a very cool Super Stock car, but I'm still not quite sure about the Comet if I should make it a Super Stocker or FX car. The link that Dave posted is a very good one. I've been going through the same thread and there is lots of great inspiration there.

When thinking that previous Moebius Models' kits have been top notch quality, maybe the best I've ever built, I can't wait to have these on my stashes. Another thing I like is that Dave Mezner is really posting on these forums and letting us know the plans when the kits should be in the stores and that kind of stuff. Not many companies do that, and in my opinion, they should.

Keep the kits coming.

• 2 weeks later...

First I must tell you that I am a Ford guy, so the F100 pickups will be much appreciated, but considering what is happening in the 1:1 truck hobby today, I would have thought the 67-72 Chevy C10 /GMC pickups would have been a more popular choice. I will buy/build the Fords, but I would have done far more of the C10's.

Edited by OutaFocus

First I must tell you that I am a Ford guy, so the F100 pickups will be much appreciated, but considering what is happening in the 1:1 truck hobby today, I would have thought the 67-72 Chevy C10 /GMC pickups would have been a more popular choice. I will buy/build the Fords, but I would have done far more of the C10's.

The Chevy/GMCs have been kitted before, though..the Fords of the '67-72 generation have never been kitted.

Edited by Rob Hall

Seems to me the only usable things in the 57 for a 58 would be the chassis and running gear. Body and interior are diffrent animals from a 57.

If one has the engine, chassis and runnig gear then one has more than 50% of a kit - for us to do a 58 Ford we'd have to do 100% of the kit if the 57 chassis is same as 58 then Revell only needs to do a body and interior!

We have a full plate right now - with the 5 projecte we've already announced, and we have several more that are under development.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep in mind that we are small and that we can only do a limited number of projects at one time.

Dave

Dave, because of Moebius' product quality and subject choices, I don't care what you produce next 'cause I'll buy at least one of each. And, since the Plymouth, Pontiac Ventura and Comet have been on my personal wish list forever, I'll have to have multiples of those. I would like to submit two possible suggestions, though, if you'll allow me...the 1964 Chevy II Nova SS (with the V8 option), and the 1963 Falcon Sprint. Both were kind of ground breaking mini-hotties, and if you think about it, sort of foreshadowed the muscle car era (i.e., compact cars with a first attempt at using V8 engines combined with performance styling and accessories). Anyway, thanks for bringing your expertise, enthusiasm, and savvy to our hobby!