Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Studebaker Turbine Truck

This project grew out of an earlier "What if...?" Studebaker project, both of which are based on the 1/25 AMT Ford C-600 kit, but this second version will use the longer frame rails from the City Delivery C-600 kit which have already been fully boxed in:

sttframe3.thumb.jpg.8230ec9b738aa48707abd8ea348db8e5.jpg

sttframe2.thumb.jpg.e808e4d8fda9c594c8fc46940052023c.jpg

I'm using the experimental turbine engine from the AMT GMC Astro 95 kit to power this truck, so I will test fitting and modifying as necessary to ensure the engine to fits both under the cab and between the frame rails. I debated widening the frame, but found it wasn't necessary once I had the engine mostly assembled. There is very little engine side to frame rail clearance, but there are no interference issues so far, even with the exhaust manifolds placed in position:

sttengfit1.thumb.jpg.358867c9d46c2d68deecc00d972a38f1.jpg

sttengfit2.thumb.jpg.d31e654a3af8f865c7aef87d32af5fd4.jpg

After adding the regenerators to both sides, there's even less space between the engine and frame rails, but the engine's fit and location within the frame is about as good as it can get. I will probably need to add some small lift blocks between the front beam axle and leaf springs, arch the springs a little bit more, or add a clearance bend in the center of the I-beam front, or maybe some combination of those three, in order to have enough clearance between the front axle and bottom of the engine. A small clearance blister will be necessary for under-cab clearance, but the front and mid-engine mounts are now in place:

sttengxmembers.thumb.jpg.f0ac7b2cafec924944f6acf980666d0c.jpg

There are still a bunch of accessories to be added to the engine-- alternator, starter motor, fuel pump, etc.-- and the rear wall of the cab will get a larger opening, some louvers, and a new support brace, but for now, I'm happy with how it's all coming together.

Edited by Casey

On 4/29/2014 at 4:34 PM, Doobie said:
Very Interesting Casey Are you going for a full blown custom with this one?

No, it will be more of a "What if...?" factory experimental type project. A truck Studebaker might've built only one example of not long before they went out of business.

I added the rear valance panel vents from the 1/20 MPC McLaren Mk8d kit to the cab's rear wall and used the GMC Astro 95's engine support piece as the new rear body support:

sttcab3.thumb.jpg.358c0956cf22112090218c83c6aa8790.jpg

sttcab2.thumb.jpg.5372863b586ab52a8d81248cc73e5b13.jpg

The semi-circular notches are where the turbine engine's exhaust pipes will exit under the rear of the cab-- not much clearance between them and the U-shaped support brace, but there's only so much room in which to fit everything.

Edited by Casey

Thanks, guys. I added a rectangular clearance blister under the seat...:

sttcab5.thumb.jpg.80cbfc6b04f429bfd3345f465e68ce02.jpg

I think I'm going to use the large fuel tanks found in the GMC Astro kit, too: *edit* By this point (2/3/2022) things have advanced, but here's a fitting of the right hand fuel tank and brackets loosely held to the frame rail:

sttrhfueltank.jpg.a100e9e4d3a7a283e9db6b4848f38d30.jpg

sttcab4.jpg

Edited by Casey

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can't wait for more- even though I'm afraid I might have to. B)

Is that a hint? <_<:lol:

It looks like a cool project but did I miss the Studebaker content? :huh:

While it's admittedly not very clear at this point where Studebaker fits in, I'll try to clear that up as work progresses.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I decided to make the frame rails full thickness along the entire length, save for the last few feet where they taper slightly. I used donor frame rail sections from another AMT Ford C-series kit.

I felt I needed to beef up the frame rails because I decided to use the tandem rear suspension from the AMT GMC Astro 95 kit, and I wanted the rear leaf spring brackets to be located forward of the frame rail's taper. I didn't quite get the brackets entirely forward of the taper, but the overlap is very small and is acceptable to me.

I want to thank member Cornpatch (Jeff Rae) for sending me the two missing rear axle housing pieces from the Astro 95 kit I needed, so Jeff, thanks again. With those parts now in hand, I was able to clean up and assemble both axle housings, then add the 2-speed(?) differential to the front housing, and get everything sanded, ready for primer (post assembly shot below):

sttrearsusp1.jpg.b26265a6bb89cc179f10340680094d29.jpg

sttrearsusp2.jpg.30f93133eb4847d47289961c1279d2d9.jpg

sttrearsusp3.jpg.06178ee493b8c63e7994825723d4285e.jpg

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1