Model Cars Magazine Forum

S/C Rambler Clone

Hard_2_Handle_454

Had to do a lot of work on this one. Got a really crappy Rambler pro-street model and then had to buy the decals separately. The fit was horrible and I had to trim a lot of the pieces to make them fit. However the rods for the wheels were of plastic and could not be trimmed, so I just glued the wheels straight onto the model. The decals were a tad larger than the car, so I had to trim them. They were also on giant sheet, so I had to trim all of them out separately too. It was a pain, but it looks good.

post-13106-0-22520400-1398811347_thumb.j

post-13106-0-05783000-1398811362_thumb.j

post-13106-0-59358800-1398811385_thumb.j

A small suggestion... the end of the blue stripe on the front of the hood should be straight across, parallel to the grille. And you might want to dab a little silver paint on the front of the hood to simulate the hood ornament, which on the real car is in that gap at the front of the blue stripe.

Nice to see a model of a car we don't see every day!

Well the car I used wasn't an actual S/C Rambler, but a regular Rambler, so there are some small details that aren't correct. There should be turn signals on the side of the car, also as pointed out there was no hood ornament as well. I thought about painting one on, but worried it would blend to much with the arrow on the hood. As for the hood arrow, I realized it looked crooked after the decals dried and I clear coated it, however, in all my reference pics (including one from a local show) the arrow was off set from the hood. I do realize that the rims need to be painted blue,

As for just masking and painting myself......the thought did cross my mind.

That model looks really cool, one of my favorite cars. Your decals look good too. Here's a pic of the one my Dad had last year, that one was the real deal he sold it when we moved (I took lots of reference pics for building).

post-12043-0-86596900-1398918388_thumb.j

Well the car I used wasn't an actual S/C Rambler, but a regular Rambler, so there are some small details that aren't correct. There should be turn signals on the side of the car, also as pointed out there was no hood ornament as well. I thought about painting one on, but worried it would blend to much with the arrow on the hood. As for the hood arrow, I realized it looked crooked after the decals dried and I clear coated it, however, in all my reference pics (including one from a local show) the arrow was off set from the hood. I do realize that the rims need to be painted blue,

As for just masking and painting myself......the thought did cross my mind.

The model kit and the real S/C car are from different years, Jo-Han based their model kit on their 1966 Rambler and the real S/C cars are from 1969, that's why they don't look the same, the basic body are the same but there are small detail differences between they years.

One example, the sidemarkers came for the 1968 modelyear and were required on all cars from that year and forward...and the kit is a 66 body so they are missing, the tail lights are also different between the 66 and 69 model.

Edited by Force

That makes sense. I was figuring that it was a pre-S/C version of the car. So it makes sense to have small differences if it's a 66 base car. I was mixing an matching to get the car to look right. A real S/C Rambler kit goes for over $100 online so I figured the best way to add one to the collection was this way. I've even seen a couple real life versions that were clones, including a post car. So, I'm happy with a good clone.

That makes sense. I was figuring that it was a pre-S/C version of the car. So it makes sense to have small differences if it's a 66 base car. I was mixing an matching to get the car to look right. A real S/C Rambler kit goes for over $100 online so I figured the best way to add one to the collection was this way. I've even seen a couple real life versions that were clones, including a post car. So, I'm happy with a good clone.

The only thing different from the Jo-Han Rambler S/C and Jo-Han and Testors Rambler Pro Street kits is the decals, everything else is the same, except the Testors HSO Rambler Pro Street kit has a photoetch fret for emblems and side markers.

I did a "clone" myself for a friend some years ago, I painted the red on the sides and the blue stripe over the top, I also made the 390 cu in and AIR decals myself...it came out fairly good....I don't have any pictures of it tho'.