Model Cars Magazine Forum

Could you make a business case for upcoming new kit subjects?

OK, I've kicked around starting this topic a few times, but I've hesitated because of what I fear it could degenerate into. Nevertheless, this issue came up again in the car kit news & review section regarding the new Moebius kit announcements. The issue is the fact that most new kit subjects are selected so that multiple variations can be created from the same basic tooling platform: a factory stock car may be followed by either a NASCAR variation (i.e. Revell '57 Ford) or a drag variation (i.e. Revell '70 Cuda).

As others have said, this isn't a bad thing: we are getting some great new kits, and the manufacturers need to function this way to be profitable. With that in mind, can you think of some possible new kit subjects that would not only have enough mainstream appeal to sell well initially, but could also generate multiple "spin-offs"?

I'm hoping for everyone to resist the urge to throw out the fantasy wish list: I'd love to be able to build the family cars from my childhood, but let's be honest: nobody in a million years is going to tool up a 68 Impala 4-door sedan with a straight 6 or an 84 LTD station wagon. However I do have a short list of possible model subjects that I keep thinking: they could really sell a lot of kits of a _______ if only they'd make it.

A couple examples: I think a first generation 67/68 Cougar kit has a lot of sales potential. I believe the original (MPC?) annual got turned into a funny car kit, so I don't think a factory stock plastic kit has been available for over 40 years. The same body could probably be used for both 67 and 68 versions, and there are a huge variety of different factory trim levels that could be offered: base cougar, XR7, XR7G, GT, GT-E, probably some others I'm not thinking of. These cougars had a huge presence in Trans Am, so a Bud Moore racing version would be a no-brainer. I'm sure there could be a drag car variation, too.

Another one I keep wondering why it hasn't been done yet: 81 to 88 Cutlass Supreme (RWD). I realize there are rumors that this one is in the works now, and there was a stillborn diecast offshoot that was shown years ago, but never released. As of right now: nothing in our hands.

These cars were the best selling cars in America for several years, so there's automatically some built-in interest from so many former owners. In addition to the basic Cutlass Supremes, there could be 83/84 Hurst Olds variations and 442 variations. The basic body was pretty much unchanged throughout the run, so the only differences between years is taillights, grilles, and the 87/88 had a different nose with the aero headlights. A lot of these have been turned into drag cars, so there's interest there too. These cars are hugely popular in both the low rider and Donk movements, so those are also possible offshoots.

Anyone else have some similar examples? Pretend you're a model company decision maker, and your job depends on whether or not the subjects that you select could turn a profit.

1977-1990 Chevrolet Caprice/Impala? They where popular in Europe/Scandinavia as well. Maby to bland and boring? There was

station wagons,sedans and coupe. If there ever where to be made coupe`s i hope it could be the first generation 77-79 with the

fish bowl rear glass. These cars seem to be popular with the lowrider comunity,police car fans and the style that makes me cringe,donks.

You could go pretty much anywhere with one,street machine,pro touring,nascar,drag,pro street,sleeper,rust bucket and so on.

post-11584-0-72071100-1399023357_thumb.j

Edited by om617

Chopped and Channeled 32 hot Rod. Think of all the variations of body styles you could release. Hood, no hood, copue, sedan, convertible.... Plus the chassis an body would be already chopped and channeled. Kind of like they did with the 49 Merc. I tried and failed to shop an AMT 49... Revell solved that issue. I also failed at chopping and channeling an AMT switchers kit. I bet I'm not alone either... Build it dirty. Build it shiny.... I can see at least 5 releases of this in different variations.

a9e33869724f3b1a3ca67ffefe846b3b.jpgtumblr_lq6t5e6BGb1qzq4jto1_500.jpg

Edited by Jeff Johnston

Tucker.

No multiple versions possible, but why has this iconic and significant car never been released as a kit (except by the aftermarket)?

There are two options for a kit......stock and NASCAR!!!! The Tucker only ran two races but it is an alternative........but I doubt we will see it from the mainstream manufactures.

Chopped and Channeled 32 hot Rod. Think of all the variations of body styles you could release. Hood, no hood, copue, sedan, convertible.... Plus the chassis an body would be already chopped and channeled. Kind of like they did with the 49 Merc. I tried and failed to shop an AMT 49... Revell solved that issue. I also failed at chopping and channeling an AMT switchers kit. I bet I'm not alone either... Build it dirty. Build it shiny.... I can see at least 5 releases of this in different variations.

a9e33869724f3b1a3ca67ffefe846b3b.jpgtumblr_lq6t5e6BGb1qzq4jto1_500.jpg

Neither of those cars is a '32...but I get your point.

But...I also think that, unless a company were to duplicate a well-known car, say like an AMBR winner, taste in hot-rods is so subjective that no two folks are probably going to want the same thing. Just like in building a real car, some will want a subtle 2" chop, and some will want a radical 6" chop...or a windshield laid-back, lakes-style. Same goes for the amount of channel. How much is just right? And there are lots of already-chopped resin '32 and other bodies out there if you don't want to do your own. I also tend to feel that muscle cars and '50s-'60s-'70s icons have a broader market appeal than '30s based hot-rods these days.

This is just my opinion, however. Feel free to disagree or disregard.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

PaulGoldsmithCoronet.jpgLandyCoronet4_zpsff2cd355.jpgCoronetRT_zps13d22466.jpg

Moebius should consider doing a 68' Dodge Coronet R/T. 3 different versions can be done. A stock version, a Dick Landy drag car, and the #99 Paul Goldsmith nascar racer

Edited by GMP440

tumblr_lq6t5e6BGb1qzq4jto1_500.jpga9e33869724f3b1a3ca67ffefe846b3b.jpg Bill is correct these aren't '32 Fords. Being Model A Fords with their straight A and B pillars one couldn't ask for an easier body to chop or channel. Jeff you need to do your home work and look on the H.A.M.B. site for some great 1:1 tutorials as well as some of the dedicated Rod magazines. Man it don't get any more basic than this. When in doubt chop it.

DSCF0078.jpg

Edited by Greg Myers

Now to answer Roberts question, a business case . . . Hey Revell / Monogram , it ain't gonna get any easier than this. Look at you already existing molds for the '65-'66 Mustangs. Yeah I know they're 1/24th scale but hey you want a business case, this will endear them to the European market and heck, half of us here don't mind 1/24th scale and the other half don't know the difference. :D

So how about a Coupe (Notch back) ? ;) Multiple variations? Stock, street, racing ( drag, Trans-Am, SCCA, street) custom (Sonny and Cher :o ). Ya gotta admit that ol' AMT version is gettin' kinda' long in the tooth, what with it's molded in promo style chassis.

Surely someone's going to think I'm brown-nosing Greg again, but i could go for a set of well-done early Mustangs too. All the racing and Shelby variants, etc. etc. And Mustangs have appeal beyond the knowledgeable car-guys. Hell...everybody either had a Mustang or knows someone who did...even 3 women i know who are as far removed from "car guy" as it's possible to be.

Surely someone's going to think I'm brown-nosing Greg again, but i could go for a set of well-done early Mustangs too. All the racing and Shelby variants, etc. etc. And Mustangs have appeal beyond the knowledgeable car-guys. Hell...everybody either had a Mustang or knows someone who did...even 3 women i know who are as far removed from "car guy" as it's possible to be.

Pretty sure the kit manufacturers knew 2014 is the Mustang's 50th Anniversary.

A "50th Anniversary" special edition kit of the original Mustang might have moved a few units. Maybe in one of those tin boxes that a lot of people seem to eat up and are willing to pay a premium for.

Hello, kit manufacturer marketing guys? Anybody home? :blink:

Pretty sure the kit manufacturers knew 2014 is the Mustang's 50th Anniversary.

A "50th Anniversary" special edition kit of the original Mustang might have moved a few units. Maybe in one of those tin boxes that a lot of people seem to eat up and are willing to pay a premium for.

Hello, kit manufacturer marketing guys? Anybody home? :blink:

AMT is doing a handful of 50th Anniversary edition kits. I think they're done with the tins, though, they're hard to ship without damage and they're dogs from a sales standpoint. Granted, they're not all-new kits, but they are trying to tie in the 50th Anniversary thing.

I've said numerous times that if I was in control of the Round 2 brands, my #1 priority would be an all-new family of 1st gen Mustangs under the AMT label in 1/25th scale.

I would do a 1/25 '78-'87 G body. The chassis, drivetrain, firewall, core support and floor pan could all be used under a Malibu (first choice), Monte Carlo (I know this has already been done in 1/24) ,Cutlass, Regal and Grand Prix. After the first kit was done, the only tooling needed for other variants would be the body/glass, door panels, seats and dash/steering wheels. I think the dash could work on more than one variant. I never noticed any big differences between them. They all looked the same to me with the exception of the brand on the dash. A decal could take care of that. The options would be practically endless with the G body with five different cars. Different years would be easily upgraded.

1957 -1966 Ford trucks

1958 -1972 Chevy trucks

60's-70's Dodge trucks

For the trucks they could make many of the bed options for all three makes. Like a parts pack ,Wrecker, Box, flat bed, utility box, camper and on and on.

The G-body GMs would be a great selling kit platform. with all the different makes on one frame and drive train it should cut the price for the molds .

I'd REALLY like to see some 2002 and later Dodge pickups too. I think it's a great looking truck, and as it was a ground-up redesign in 2002, the later chassis and guts, i assume, are similar enough to rebody with several later iterations using the '02 tooling mostly.

There were factory hot-rod versions as well. dodge-ram-srt-10-photo-106155-s-429x262.

Tucker.

No multiple versions possible, but why has this iconic and significant car never been released as a kit (except by the aftermarket)?

Because if a kit company did produce it, they would probably sell about as many as the real car did. The only thing iconic about the Tucker is how fast it flopped.