Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's Your Favorite Model In Your Collection??

Hello there friend! Just wanted to say havent heard from ya in a while! I started this year so hopefully in 2008 ill be able to start my collection. My ? is do you have 125 scale mechanics working on your cars cause the ? I always ask myself is how did he but all those parts in there.HaHahA . Excellent work! J Keep on wit the keepin on. My most impressive on the bench car is my Murphy designed 34 SJ Duesnberg and a custom 41 Plymouth. Hopefully have them done this year.

Hmmm..............Good question!

I have a lot of "favorites", but if there's one model that tested my building skills as far as working features in scale-----it would have to be my '58 Impala Conv. Hard to believe the model is almost 7 years old now!

This is probably the first model I would build that I tried to cram as many operable features as possible with the knowhow I had then. It also was a successful first attempt at a hardtop to convertible conversion..............many years earlier I tried the same thing on another '58, but the results came out disastrous! :o

P5010271-vi.jpgP5110395-vi.jpgP5110404-vi.jpg

P5110423-vi.jpg

P5110397-vi.jpg

P5110414-vi.jpg

P5110416-vi.jpg

P5110417-vi.jpg

P5110407-vi.jpg

Life's a little more sane now..............I've gotten past the "everything must work" stage and focus more on getting more builds done, but might stray back into the superdetail mode down the road! :lol:

I was tempted to go that route with the '55 Ford, but my better sense tells me to just do some simple detail and save the tedious stuff for later on. :o

DSC01818.jpg

DSC01811.jpg

DSC01820.jpg

DSC01816.jpg

DSC01821.jpg

DSC01808.jpg

cmaroconcept050.jpg

I can't say my level of talent is as high as Bill and Jeff's, I mean, these guys are aliens :lol::o

but I can say that this is one of my favorite builds within my collection even though I lost the

water hose in my engine compartment and didn't even realize it! :blink: :blink: Sorry!! :o

I'm going to go with my little Toyota Corolla WRC. It ranks as one of my favorites, but it was also the car that had some firsts for me.

Applying all the decals, the first time using P.E., cutting out real rubber mud flaps and just plain detailing the interior as close to the real car.

It taught me a lot of things and was a pleasurable build.

But, with every new build I now try something I hadn't before and each new built finished kit is my favorite.

wrc16-vi.jpg

wrc4-vi.jpg

wrc6-vi.jpg

wrc17-vi.jpg

Chris

I have 2 favourites:

The Uncertain T that I first built in 1966, my first 1st Place Trophy (first photo) and rebuilt in 1986 after it had been damaged (second photo). As you can see, I still most of the stuff from the kit plus the trophy that Monogram gave to the contest winners. I don't know how many entries there were but it doesn't matter now, I still have the trophy.

Monogram '55 Chevy 4 way kit (third photo). I built them when they first came out but over the years of moving, they disappeared. I was finally able to get a couple at shows and built one completely box and factory stock, including polishing the molded plastic rather than painting it. The second one is built with all the kit supplied custom parts including the bubble and painted red. The custom parts were designed for Monogram by Darryl Starbird, my favourite customizer. (I met Darryl at our car show and he autographed the kit and a spare bubble)

Both of these kits take me back to my youth when hobby shops were small mom&pop stores, chains were uncommon, a Saturday bike ride meant a trip to the hobby store and a 10cent burger and a milkshake on the way home. Now that I am a few years older, I still build for fun, just like a kid. That way I don't have to compete againt you guys ;)

Captain Obvious! Nobody's models suck! Your models look fine. Some of us are just more nuts about the amount of time we put in them.

Lyle - I love that 32 of yours! Very classy and the V-12 is a great touch. That is a very well thought out and well detailed model. B);)

Edited by Modelmartin

I have to confess in the 8 plus years since I started building again, this is the one model I treasure the most and the one that kept a big smile on my face while I built it . . . also, it proved a point to me that you don't have to go inside to have a model you can enjoy . . .

IMG_9869-vi.jpg

IMG_9870-vi.jpg

It was actually this anatomically correct pig I found on EBAY that got the whole build started . . .

IMG_9877-vi.jpg

IMG_9891-vi.jpg

This one. ALbert Wallace sent this to me and I dropped it...and it cracked in 2 pieces. So I eventually got a hacked up body off of ebay. I then took the front from the hacked body (which was good) and the rear from the one Albert gave me....and I ended up with this.

67scut2.jpg

b5c316e5.jpg

DSC04163.jpg

DSC04161.jpg

Edited by Jeff Johnston

Jeff,

If that's what they look like after they fall and you rebuild them, then I'd suggest that you "drop" a few more. That is an excellent display of workmanship and craftsmanship!!

My favorite model that best depicts what the style of model that I build these days would have to be the '57 Chevy Cameo pickup that was done in a Corvette theme. I really like blending and mixing the old and the new styles into one cohesive design.

57ChevyPickup11-vi.jpg

Thanks for adding this topic,

Since Jeff, Bill, Cruz and Lyle always have their builds on the same table as mine at club meetings and shows I might as well feel inferior here as well...My fave I guess would have to be this '40 Ford street rod. Has HOK Candy Scarlet over a gold base with no clear. Has some Reps and Mins of MD engine parts and dashboard. Cut my own taillights in the fenders. Wheels are from the Tom Danies Cabriolet kit.

4d4.jpg

4d5.jpg

4d3.jpg

Inferior? Not a chance, Andy. That one's my favorite of yours, too. Not to mention the pick of best Street Rod model at the York Nat's! My favorite in my collection has to be this build. It doesn't have the most detail I've ever put into a model, the best paint, or the most time put into it, but I had the most fun building it, even through a few mistakes I made. IMG_1998.jpg

IMG_2004.jpg

I guess this would have to be the one. It represents many firsts & enlightenments in my model building. I started this kit I think in the mid eighties. A couple of my (1 to1) car club buddies and I built model cars at the time. Soon after that, I was the only guy I knew building model cars. I did not know of aftermarket parts, modeling tools, model magazines, Plastruct, glue other then testers (no-tox & toxic) ect.

So this build was to be a pro street '40 ford with a chop top. So I get out the "Lemon Crate" 40 ford kit an alcohol lamp and a butter knife and started to chop the top. To fill in the gap and melt it back together I would use leftover sprue. Looking back I can't imagine doing that now. Over the years... (I finished it in 2003) I would work on it and change the concept of how I would finish it. I would also put it on the back shelf and start or finish something else. Fast-forward to about 2000. I'm at a local car show and there is a model car club there with a huge diorama with 200 models on display.

I swear to God I thought I was the last guy my age (adult) building model cars much less wiring and customizing them. Long story short... opps to late. I joined the club, they opened my eyes to a world of aftermarket supplies, and better ways of doing things that I would have only done with old leftover model parts and model plastic. If I couldn't find it in my huge collection of old model kits and parts. I would melt something into what I needed.

Some firsts are Photo etch parts, aluminum parts, resin parts, Scratch building using styrene plastic tube and sheets, aluminum tubes and brass rod, flocking...

With these new materials, and glues and model building friends came a new confidence that helped me brush off adversity. I was close to finished when a bottle of 6 min. epoxy fell from a shelve above my workbench.

ooopps_01-vi.jpg

Within days it was back together, but now I was tired of the yellow and since I had to repaint anyway, I thought a, Phoenix up from the flames paint job would be more appropriate. That is why this is my favorite Model in my collectiom.

40PU0011-vi.jpg

40PU0015-vi.jpg

40PU0017-vi.jpg

40PU0019-vi.jpg

40PU0020-vi.jpg

40PU0023-vi.jpg

40PU0024-vi.jpg

40PU0026-vi.jpg

Not my best build, Lots of problems with the fit of the tilt front and the gap betreen the running boards and front cap. But that's fine, I'm a better builder thanks to all this kit represents. BTW back when I thought I was the only guy still building model cars, that nice guy at the local hobby store selling me my models and glue was Augie... Who knew?

withaugiesbike-vi.jpg

I would find out in 2002, Augie also built models. My 40 Ford truck with Augies' bike on back. This was also Augies’ favorite of my builds.

Thanks for the inspiration guys,

Jefbo

Way back when I was a little kid (maybe 8 or so), I kept bugging my parents to buy me the (then) new 1/8 scale Monogram Jaguar kit for Christmas. To an 8 year old model builder who relied on $2 a week allowance to buy models, that kit was the holy grail to me!

Well, Santa apparently heard me, because I did in fact get that kit for Christmas. I still remember how excited I was to see that HUGE box under the tree. I knew what it was, because I did a couple of "sneak shakes", and it sounded like a model!

My dad and I built it (well, truth be told, mostly my dad!). I was so incredibly proud of that model. I had never before had a 1/8 scale kit. At the time, I was incredibly impressed by features like working steering, working front suspension and ROLL-UP WINDOWS!!! In fact, I was so happy to have built that kit that I actually took it to school for "Show and Tell" (back in the days when they still did that sort of thing).

Unfortunately I no longer have that model. At some long-ago forgotten point in time it disappeared, along with all the other models I had built as a kid. I think my parents, at some point, performed a "cleaning" of the basement, and tossed all of my childhood models, including that Jaguar. They probably figured that I had "outgrown" that sort of stuff, and had meant no harm. But to this day I remember the joy that model brought, and how my dad and I sat at the kitchen table for many evenings building it.

Sounds sort of sappy, but every word is true. That Jaguar is by far the favorite model I ever had, and my favorite modeling memory of all.