Model Cars Magazine Forum

Custom Dodge Challenger "Superbird"

Interesting, but I think it looks awkward. Some iconic designs don't work well when fitted to vehicles with radically different dimensions.

I agree.

Plus, what's with the roadrunner character on a Challenger? He should have come up with a new name and a new logo... :D

A friend sent me this to me so I thought I would share with the MCM family...I`m sure the MOPAR folks will enjoy the pixs as well as the video clip.

It`s has bored out 408 mill with KB 4.2 Supercharger with 17 lbs of boost, NAG 1 transmission and runs 1000 plus h.p. at 194mph.

Enjoy!

MG_9753.jpg

http://youtu.be/97X4oF_c2As

Edited by 69NovaYenko

A friend sent me this to me so I thought I would share with the MCM family...I`m sure the MOPAR folks will enjoy the pixs as well as the video clip.

The car is Highsmith’s modern-day nod to the original Plymouth Road Runner Superbird,this 2008 Challenger body wears a custom Superbird kit,

reminiscent of the pointed snout and tall rear wing of Mopar’s original bird. All totaled, these enhancements will catapult Challenger "Superbird" all the way up to 200 miles per hour.

It`s has bored out 408 mill with KB 4.2 Supercharger with 17 lbs of boost, NAG 1 transmission and runs 1000 plus h.p. at 194mph.

Enjoy!

MG_9753.jpg

http://youtu.be/97X4oF_c2As

An an interesting kink to the story, the car was stolen in San Bernardino, California earlier this year. Local police found the car days later in a bust that recovered at least six other vehicles as well. It was in pieces, but fortunately everything was undamaged and Highsmith hopes to get it rebuilt soon.

Edited by 69NovaYenko

Daddyfink with all due respect; if you recall the in 1969 the nose and wing were all about aerodynamics not looks.

Both the Superbird and the Charger Daytona looks didn't come from Chrysler's design studios but were born in 1969 Stock Car race team shops.

Styling as not the intent for either of the aforemention cars...it was about winning races in the 1969 NASCAR season.

Please review video clip from American Muscle Car http://youtu.be/FcPmHV1akp8 for a history flashback. :D

P.S.

Here is a clip of the 2010 Challenger "Daytona":

http://youtu.be/YkmFu7GXVXY

Edited by 69NovaYenko

I agree.

Plus, what's with the roadrunner character on a Challenger? He should have come up with a new name and a new logo... :D

I agree as well Harry. If someone is going to modernize the Superbird, they should use something that could be interpreted as a Plymouth Roadrunner, and not a Dodge Challenger. Adding a Roadrunner emblem makes not a Super bird...

"So if two threads on this styling joke are better than one, then THREE threads is really tops, huh?

This is why the original wing cars are so collectable and coveted today. People absolutely hated them back in 1969 and 1970, and so they sat on car lots for 12+ months at a time. Chrysler refused to buy them back, so the dealerships started pulling the cone nose and wings off, and replacing the front end with parts off the stock Chargers and Roadrunners.

Hindsight is 20/20.

Who knows.....in 40 years when a four cylinder car will be the biggest motor car you can get, these will be selling on Barrett-Jackson for millions.

LOL

PS to the moderators. The quote option is not working.

Edited by formula1129

"So if two threads on this styling joke are better than one, then THREE threads is really tops, huh?

This is why the original wing cars are so collectable and coveted today. People absolutely hated them back in 1969 and 1970, and so they sat on car lots for 12+ months at a time. Chrysler refused to buy them back, so the dealerships started pulling the cone nose and wings off, and replacing the front end with parts off the stock Chargers and Roadrunners.

Hindsight is 20/20.

Who knows.....in 40 years when a four cylinder car will be the biggest motor car you can get, these will be selling on Barrett-Jackson for millions.

LOL

PS to the moderators. The quote option is not working.

The thing up top looks like it was styled by a talentless 8-tear old, and it's just another "look at me" piece.

The original 'production' car was a homologation special, so the car could be raced with the aero enhancements. It had a purpose, and the nose and tail didn't look ridiculous on the race-car.

43petty.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy