Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cover versions of well-known songs

In case you haven't noticed yet, I'm a huge, HUGE music fan. And I know a lot of you out there are, too. So here's a thread that I think can be fun for all of us.

I'd like you to post your favorite video of a cover version of a famous song. Not the original artist, but a "tribute" or cover, or however you want to define it. There are tons of great cover versions out there.

I'll get us started. What if Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones, and John Bonham were girls? What would they sound like? Well... something like this:

Harry, if you liked that one try this take on a Jimi Hendrix tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVCHOR-rVlQ

Wow... strange to hear such a very different version of a song I like so much (and know so well). But dang! That was beautiful. A very unique take on the song, very well done. I like it. And those girls are a whole lot better looking than old Jimi was! :D

I'm liking this thread already! B)

Here's something interesting. The Zeparella version of "When the Levee Breaks" that I posted to start off this thread is a cover of a Led Zeppelin song... right?

Not so fast. Did you know that Led Zeppelin's version was actually a cover of the original song written by Joe McCoy and Memphis Minnie in the 1920s! Somehow Zep got away with crediting themselves for the song on their album. And they took credit for a lot of songs that appeared on various Zeppelin albums that were direct ripoffs of other people's songs. And they were involved in various lawsuits over the years by the people whose songs they put on their albums and took credit for, Go to youtube and type in Led Zeppelin plagiarism... you'll be surprised.

This is the actual original "When the Levee Breaks"...

I don't know how to post videos, sorry..... But something you guys should check out are some covers that Phish have done (yea, them again!) ^_^ When they do a Halloween show they put on what they call a "musical costume", that is they play an entire album by another artist. So far they have covered The White Album, Quadrophenia, Exile on Main Street, and several others that escape me at the moment.....