Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cover versions of well-known songs

On Monday we were sitting at the bar enjoying Happy Hour at our favorite watering hole. A couple in our age group was sitting next to us, and  "Jumping Jack Flash" was playing.  They were debating that it didn't sound like Mick Jagger... So I told them it was Peter Frampton's version.  They laughed and we wound up friends with them for the evening.

21 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

On Monday we were sitting at the bar enjoying Happy Hour at our favorite watering hole. A couple in our age group was sitting next to us, and  "Jumping Jack Flash" was playing.  They were debating that it didn't sound like Mick Jagger... So I told them it was Peter Frampton's version.  They laughed and we wound up friends with them for the evening.

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

A cover of a famous song, but in this case, it's the cover version that's the best known one.  Nick Lowe did this song first,  but Elvis Costello did it better.

Interesting, didn't know that! 

Conversely, EC wrote "Girls Talk," but his version of it is horrible. Nick Lowe, Dave Edmunds and Linda Ronstadt all did vastly superior covers of it. 

Jolene is absolutely my all-time favorite Dolly Parton song, no matter who's singing it. Thanks all for the great covers!B)

Now, in a similar vein....

Here's a more modern song in the same vein. Different song completely, different style, but absolutely the same theme, same message: 

36 minutes ago, Jantrix said:

Check out a band called Tragedy on YouTube.

They do metal versions of old Beegees tunes. The music is fun and they don't take themselves very seriously. It's a hoot.

You mean like this? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA! Thanks for sharing this! :lol:

8 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Duran Duran does Elvis Costello.

That entire album (Duran Duran - Thank You) is actually really solid.

It's not really a cover per se, but if you head over to You Tube, look up the "shred" songs.

This guy reworks videos. And it cracks me up.

10 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Duran Duran does Elvis Costello.

Very interesting! Almost as if Bowie had written and recorded this song about the time of Aladdin Sane. 

Still, I definitely prefer EC's original on this one.