Model Cars Magazine Forum

How to thin Folk Art Acrylics

You're not going to get any kind of shine out of the actual Folk Art acrylic paint, but you can clearcoat this paint with just about anything. To thin them for airbrushing, use something other than plain water because that will just weaken the paint. I have used windshield washer fluid, Future, and Liquitex Airbrush Medium in the past to thin these paints. Before you spray the paint, strain it through a fine mesh to screen out any lumps that might clog your airbrush. Apply the craft paint in light coats over a primed surface-- if it's bare plastic it'll just bead up. It dries really fast when sprayed.

Here's a thinning formula you may want to try:

20 parts Future

20 parts Windex

10 parts 90% Isopropyl Alcohol

16 parts acrylic craft paint

I saw this formula published on another modeling forum a while back and stuck it into my notes. I haven't tried this particular mixture myself, but it was the result of a lot of experimentation and is supposed to work very well.

Good luck!!

Here is my tutorials on acrylics. You can see step by step how to do it. I had a lot of people teach me and all I did with these video's is passed on their knowledge. I have all these posted here on the forums as well.

www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWmDDhf1nNnxvW9Jh_uNc9PkIUZm167M6

Edited by cchapman195