Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Old Model Box?

8 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I have what I believe is a original AMT no 232 32 Ford V-8 kit box with some of the left over parts inside. I know there was a reissue of this kit. At a model show and swap meet one of the fellows told me that a few people had tried to sell the reissue as being an original kit . Is there anyway to tell for sure one way or another?

Posted · Report post

Look for a copyright date somewhere on the box.

Posted · Report post

no dates on box,instructions or decal sheet. only the Troy Mi address on the back of the decal sheet

The decals look old and are curled and the instructions look bit yellowed on the outside.

My wife found it at Goodwill store some years back but I am not sure if it was before the reissue was released (2008?)

Posted · Report post

The old boxes were a different size (smaller) than newer boxes. Also check that the artwork wraps around inside the boxtop. Back then the artwork was printed on thin paper then pasted onto the cardboard box. Also old kits would have the price ($1.49 usually) printed directly printed on the box.

Posted · Report post

The old boxes were a different size (smaller) than newer boxes. Also check that the artwork wraps around inside the boxtop. Back then the artwork was printed on thin paper then pasted onto the cardboard box. Also old kits would have the price ($1.49 usually) printed directly printed on the box.

I was thinking that the reissue was also in a smaller box than the standard models. It has the $1.49 printed directly on the box and the box has the printed artwork paper attached to the box

Posted · Report post

UPC barcode on all newer boxes. Vintage stuff has no bar codes.

Posted · Report post

That kit number (232) indicates it's the original issue of the AMT five-window coupe. Should also have the price ($1.49) printed in black on the end panel.

Posted · Report post

no barcode and price on the end

do believe it is a original

Thanks for the help

Jon