Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Pontiac GTO Tiger Gold/Mayfield Yellow paint

I am currently looking for a close match for a spray paint to paint my GTO model to match the iconic Tiger Gold or Mayfield Yellow paint. The closest I can find is Testors Inca Gold or Pure Gold lacuer paint. Is that going to be too dark of gold or is there another one out there that is a shade lighter in color?

Here is a real life image of the color I am after. The car on the left is the color I am after. This is a pic of my Dad's GTO when he was 18 years old. I would ask him the color, but I am building a plastic scale model to match this car for his birthday. Maybe its just a plain yellow after all, but not sure. Can anyone figure out if its Mayfield Yellow or Tiger Gold? Those are the two colors they used back in 1965 when they were selling this model.

Thanks!

DadsGTO.jpg

Here's a good shot of Mayfair Maize, the yellow offered. http://www.tcpglobal.com/aclchip.aspx?image=1965-Pontiac-pg01.jpg

I tried mixing some using Testors enamels. Didn't work well. I think one of the Krylon yellows come pretty close.

Tiger Gold is in the lower left corner. Some of the Dupli-Color gold/metallic beige shades come pretty close.

Alternately, if you have an airbrush, MCW Automotive Finishes has Tiger Gold as a stocking color. I believe the Mayfair Maize is a custom mix (and a lot more money.) The 1966 Candlelite Cream (probably listed as Lemonwood Yellow) comes pretty close to it, though, and is a stocking number.

Charlie Larkin

To my Knowledge Scalefinishes is Airbrush only. There are other companies on the web to find the color you need Packaged in a spray can. They However become very Expensive in relation to the quantity of paint you actually recieve, after all is said and done. A few cans of paint from this Company http://www.automotivetouchup.com would most likely. Convince you to purchase an Airbrush.

Edited by my80malibu

To my Knowledge Scalefinishes is Airbrush only. There are other companies on the web to find the color you need Packaged in a spray can. They However become very Expensive in relation to the quantity of paint you actually recieve, after all is said and done. A few cans of paint from this Company http://www.automotivetouchup.com would most likely. Convince you to purchase an Airbrush.

Everything Gabe said.

You can get a decent starter airbrush, like a Badger 250 (the little plastic spray gun) or a Paasche H for fairly short money. Harbror Freight and several other stores have not terribly-expensive full-size compressors that can be dialed down to the 20-25 PSI you need. Check Craigslist for used airbrushes, too. You can save a bundle.

I like MCW because I prefer lacquer, but Jameston at Scale Finishes does make a very good product, I've used his paint, too.

Charlie Larkin