Model Cars Magazine Forum

Williams FW24 - Juan Pablo Montoya - 2002 US Grand Prix

kilshaw

Hello, here is another one of my finished models.

This model has won a gold in the junior's class at the UK IPMS nationals, and two golds in the senior civilian vehicles classes at regional shows.

The Williams-BMW FW24 was used by the famous Williams F1 Team throughout the 2002 Formula One season. The #5 car was driven by Ralf Schumacher, whilst the #6 car was driven by Juan Pablo Montoya. My model represents JP Montoyas car from the 2002 United States Grand Prix, held at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. This was one of the most controversial races in history, with a backfired staged 1-2 finish between the two Ferrari drivers. Williams race wasnt smooth either, because the two drivers collided on lap 2, when Ralf Schumacher collided with Montoya, Montoya finished the race in 4th position. My model took 5 months to build, and I used an aftermarket photo-etch set and decals. To build it as the US GP version, I had to dramatically alter the rear wing, to replicate the low-downforce setup used at the high-speed Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

20131031_183120.jpg

20131031_183130.jpg

20131031_183142.jpg

20131031_183150.jpg

20131031_183203-1.jpg

20131031_183206-1.jpg

20131031_183228-1.jpg

Thank you,

Jake

Edited by kilshaw

Thanks for all your kind words

Really nice for any age, but even more considering your age! What P/e set did you use? and what paints were used? I have a couple of these in the pile and am curious.

I used the Studio 27 photoetch set and Zero paints for the body. The rest was painted with Alclad for metals and Black parts were Vallejo black.

Jake

Great build Jake! I love F1 car builds. It's nice to see the FW-24 build as I had debated a few times grabbing that kit to add to my growing pile of models in my closet, but decided against it. :)

I like the display you did for it, it sets it apart from how most F1 builds look.

• 2 months later...