Model Cars Magazine Forum

'74 El Camino - Finished ! 8-26-14

the 73 will be soon....altho this one looks killer!

Hey Jeff ! Thanks very much !

I still plan on buying one of yours when it's ready , I just enjoy this kind of work and decided to give it a try .

And no , I don't plan on having it cast ! :)

WOW!!! It's so great to see someone building a '73-'77 Chevelle / El Camino. Especially it's nice to see a '74 as I drive Stock Eliminator with '74 Chevelle. Your body work looks fantastic so far. That's a lot of cutting and slicing for sure, but looks like a talented modeler has no problems with it. This really gets me motivated on starting my Missing Link '73 Chevelle. And who knows if I might find myself from eBay buying one of those Stock Car Malibus to do a conversion of '74 Chevelle....

Keep on building, I'll follow this one very closely.

Nice splicin' and dicin' Bob! It looks great so far.

Thanks Dave ! I appreciate it .

WOW!!! It's so great to see someone building a '73-'77 Chevelle / El Camino. Especially it's nice to see a '74 as I drive Stock Eliminator with '74 Chevelle. Your body work looks fantastic so far. That's a lot of cutting and slicing for sure, but looks like a talented modeler has no problems with it. This really gets me motivated on starting my Missing Link '73 Chevelle. And who knows if I might find myself from eBay buying one of those Stock Car Malibus to do a conversion of '74 Chevelle....

Keep on building, I'll follow this one very closely.

Thanks very much Niko !

Please build your Chevelle ! I know Missing Link is selling a bunch of them but I haven't seen a single one yet !

I was able to spend some time on this over the long weekend , so with the body starting to look right I decided to put it up on all fours !

Well , really just two wheels and tires that I grabbed from my parts box .

There's still a lot to do before the body is finished , but here it is .

Thanks for looking !

Edited by TooOld

Looking great, Bob! The nose looks great with the Monte headlights, and you've got the grille surround contours down, including that inner raised edge. Judging by the cross-hatch grille pattern and the center divider, it looks like that's actually a grille from a 76 Classic. (77 Classics had all vertical bars, that's about the only visual difference between those 2 years)

Nice work also on the tailgate with the provisions for the hinges. Really impressed by your progress on this.

Looking great, Bob! The nose looks great with the Monte headlights, and you've got the grille surround contours down, including that inner raised edge. Judging by the cross-hatch grille pattern and the center divider, it looks like that's actually a grille from a 76 Classic. (77 Classics had all vertical bars, that's about the only visual difference between those 2 years)

Nice work also on the tailgate with the provisions for the hinges. Really impressed by your progress on this.

Thanks Robert !

And you are probably right about the grille . I remember at the salvage yard I picked the best parts off of 3 El Caminos they had , and that was the nicest looking grille . I always said it was a '77 front clip just to make it easy , maybe I'll change that to a '76 so I don't get a bunch of " Gotcha's " !

I decided to work on the bed opening profile one more time , don't know why I can't get it right !

Here's the shape it's supposed to be .

So I added some plastic and tried again !

That might be pretty close . I need to clean it up a bit and make sure it's the way I want it before adding the bed molding !

Edited by TooOld

I also worked on the hood with a file and some sandpaper to get it even . Before I started I added small gussets ( circled ) in the body so the hood will close the same every time . Once it fits flush I need to work on the gaps .

Edited by TooOld