Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's The Best Way To Simulate Lug Nuts On A Wheel?

It sounds easy, but the lug nuts on my models usually look like crapola! I suppose I could go with photo-etch bolt heads, but... isn't there anything better?

Maybe an actual bolt & stud? Doesn't have to be functional.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

-Jon-

It sounds easy, but the lug nuts on my models usually look like crapola! I suppose I could go with photo-etch bolt heads, but... isn't there anything better?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

-Jon-

They sell hex shaped plastic rod. I think Plastruck or Evergreen has it. You can buy it on the internet. I've got some somebody sent me. Not sure what size would work best. But you can just cut off a very small piece paint it, glue it on and put a black dot in the middle.

i never really think lug nuts made from plastruct rod look right. its probably because i can never slice it consistently enough to look convincing to my eyes anyway. micro hardware is the way to go if you must insist on realistic add-on lug nuts but seems to me most open wheel castings i encounter look great just as they are with a bit of detail painting and/or a wash.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

-Jon-

Check out the detail parts in the model RR section of your LHS, or go to walthers.com and check out the plastic hex nut detail parts there. Ready made, and they look good!

Biscuitbuilder

What's goin' on...

Buiscuitbuilder is correct.

Grant Line Scale Products for model railroad details has them in various sizes. The bolts are molded w/ fine shanks below the hex . Using a pin vice drill ... drill out the bolt pattern in the rim. The bit size is determined by the diameter of the shank on the scale bolt. Cut the bolt from the spur leaving the shank intact and insert it thru the hole in the rim. On the back side of the rim apply a small amount of glue to the shank and allow it to dry. Then cut off excess then install the rim.

• 7 years later...

My LHS recently started carrying a tool that punches hex shapes (in varying sizes) from sheet styrene in varying thicknesses. At about $100, it's a bit pricey.

There is a similar tool to punch round discs, and the armor/aircraft guys are using it to make rivets.