Model Cars Magazine Forum

Almost finished: Peterbilt 358 Custom Needlenose

I wanted to take a break from the rivet counting, and there is a resin 358 hood on the bench, just staring at me, (saving that for the California Hauler reissue).

So, for a fast, (for me), fun project, I ripped into a snap Pete. Wanting to do it up in a different style than I usually do, so a custom 358 is the result. Here are a few pics, including a mock up so far. I narrowed the grille and hood, used AMT headlights, (still my favorites), added photo etched for the grille and air cleaners, streched it to a 285" wheelbase, with a smooth frame insert, and am going with straight pipes The smoothed the battery / storage boxes are kit parts, and the brakes are from the parts box. The resin rear fenders were so warped, I had to use a 1/16th " steel rod as part of the front and rear mounts to keep them square, even after hot water and some tweaking.

post-11762-0-56172000-1400158250_thumb.jpost-11762-0-06152000-1400158334_thumb.jpost-11762-0-88170800-1400158349_thumb.jpost-11762-0-70382600-1400158395_thumb.jpost-11762-0-34290700-1400158416_thumb.jpost-11762-0-73876500-1400158435_thumb.j

Thanks for looking,

Mark.

Edited by purepmd

Thanks guys. The air cleaners are the ones from the Revell snap W900, with some spare AMT wheel backs, for the lids, filled in with Evergreen tube and rod to form a centering post over the post on the body for the snap chrome hat. The wheel backs measure a scale 15", so do the air cleaners, making for a decent representation of a 15" Vortox unit.

The grille and air cleaner screens come from Plano Model Products, in Plano, Tx.

Edited by purepmd

Very creative Mark! This is exceptional work for such a side project from the other Pete. I like it. I like it a lot!! I spent a few minutes on each picture to see fine measuring and the precision cuts you did on the pieces to make this one of a kind custom. I also like the fact that you have a couple of irons in the fire to keep yourself from getting burnt out on one model. I’m doing the same; got two IH4200s and an IH4070b on the table. One of them is the one you sent me. Much appreciated by the way…thanks for re-inspiring me!

Jeff

Very creative Mark! This is exceptional work for such a side project from the other Pete. I like it. I like it a lot!! I spent a few minutes on each picture to see fine measuring and the precision cuts you did on the pieces to make this one of a kind custom. I also like the fact that you have a couple of irons in the fire to keep yourself from getting burnt out on one model. I’m doing the same; got two IH4200s and an IH4070b on the table. One of them is the one you sent me. Much appreciated by the way…thanks for re-inspiring me!

Jeff

Jeff, you are welcome. A big part of why I like posting is to, hopefully, inspire my fellow builders. I know a lot of the work on here brings forth a lot of ideas. JT's orange fleet had a hand in setting the paint job this model will wear. I just need more time, a 32 hour day should work. Thanks to all for the kind words.

post-11762-0-73876500-1400158435_thumb.j

Having seen quite a few of Mark's other trucks, there's no doubt in my mind that this one will also

feature some nice detailing and an eye-catching paint job. The p/e grille and the enhancements to the air cleaner assemblies will help it stand out, but if you've been paying close attention to his other truck builds, sometimes it's the less obvious parts that, when modified for both appearance and functionality, end up making the kit that much more accurate. It's too bad real plastic surgeons don't always obtain results as nice as his.

mark got any new updates

Seriously? You actually made a post asking that on the same day that he posted 11 new pictures along with a summary of the things he did to get to this point?

mak any updates on this fantastic build

I've got this crazy theory about that: I'll bet if Mark had some new updates to show us, and he had the time and inclination to post them, we'd be looking at them.

Mark (purepmd) has informed me that he's been catching a lot of heat via PM for the remarks I made in the above post, which seems strange since Mark not only didn't write it, he didn't ask me to write any of that either. So why does the post exist? It's an opinion. I just found the same-day request* and the follow-up request to be a bit odd for the reasons I stated, and I stand by everything I wrote.

*In all my years on here, I'd never seen people asking for same-day updates in the car sections I read on a daily basis. Perhaps it's something unique to the truck builders.

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys,

As you all know, during summer it is hard to get all the bench time you want, but I have managed to slap some paint, decals, clear and Alclad on to this thing.

The orange is Tamiya X-6, and the black is X-1. I have polished it out using Mcquire's cleaning wax, but just have not photographed it yet. The wheels are modified,and stripped Italeri outers mated to Revell snap inners, covered with Alclad Chrome. Thanks for looking.

post-11762-0-77702100-1405710946_thumb.jpost-11762-0-57710800-1405711114_thumb.jpost-11762-0-88895500-1405711221_thumb.jpost-11762-0-07044700-1405711356_thumb.jpost-11762-0-05358900-1405711508_thumb.j

Edited by purepmd