Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell of Germany e type

Jaguar man 21

after having seen real wire wheels (on just about any real car) I just will NOT allow myself to use those kit wire wheels on anything but a space ship model or submarine.

when I ever get around to building a Jag or Maserati I will either make my own wire wheels or pay the price for decent looking photo etch wheels.

Good luck on the Maserati 3500 GTi. You'll need a lot more than accurate wire wheels to make it work. However, I have a ton of reference material that I'll be happy to share with you. Matt Bacon made the best one ever done, so you might want to search on this forum. His build here is totally essential:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1086640

Be careful with aftermarket wire wheels. Most of them are 1/24 for the Ferrari 250 GTO, with large, deep-dish rear wheels, and they're too big for the 1/25 Maserati. See if you can find Herb Deeks wire wheels.

Edited by sjordan2

Thanks Dan and Jeremy!

Later on down the road, I may try to tackle the ROG XKE that Jeremy has. A fussy kit it may be, but it can be worked with. It's not like a Palmer or some other dubious brand that represent models which are unreasonable facsimiles of what they're supposed to be!

I need to finish up that '59 Chevy Impala first............it's been a real butt kicker lately as I'm hung up on a small but important detail (good glass). :o

I had PM'd Jeremy about the XK-SS and sent him a link, but here it is for those who've never seen it. This is actually a D-Type converted from the XK-SS kit...........pretty much what the leftover D-Types were turned into after their racing days were over.

P5070338-vi.jpg

P5070333-vi.jpg

P5070337-vi.jpg

P5070344-vi.jpg

This was the old ROG kit that I had used, and like the reissued XKE's there were some fit problems such as the hood fit. Everything needs to fall under the cowl, otherwise the hood will not shut. As I said earlier, these kits need a lot of time and patience, but can yield some very nice results.

Not to detract from Jaguarman's thread but that is magnificent, MrObsessive! You've more than lived up to your username. :D