Model Cars Magazine Forum

Weathering tires

Sometimes, especially in Revell kits, you get vinyl tyres that are very black and very shiny. I've come across rubbing the tread on sandpaper to "weather" it, but does anyone have any techniques for dulling down and making the whole tyre more "grey" and realistically rubber like?

bestest,

M.

Edited by Matt Bacon

I've always used a airbrush sandblaster with fine media and then adjusting the air pressure get the finish I require.

It gets right down in to the tread of the tire too giving a overall dull grey appearance.

I have an extremely easy and simple technic I use after sanding the tread. It involves putting the tires in a container full of sand with just a touch on talcum powder to help adhesion. The best part is, is that the sand also gets down in the tread and gives the whole thing a used look.

Oh, that's just ridiculous. So I want to know people's tips or tricks to do something and because it's a question it goes in Questions and Answers? There's no logic or rationale behind separating these sections, really... It's just making the site harder to use for most people. As it stands, it seems that if I, without prompting, want to tell the world my painting secrets, it goes in Tips and Tricks, but if I want to ASK the world their painting secrets, it goes in Questions and ANSWERS, which then presumably have exactly the same content as if those same people had just decided to write them down on their own cognizance. Time to merge these two subforums under a single "Modelling How-Tos" topic, IMHO... unless there's some well thought-out rationale to keep them separate... which I'd be very happy to hear.

bestest,

M.

Edited by Matt Bacon

Oh, that's just ridiculous. So I want to know people's tips or tricks to do something and because it's a question it goes in Questions and Answers? There's no logic or rationale behind separating these sections, really... It's just making the site harder to use for most people. As it stands, it seems that if I, without prompting, want to tell the world my painting secrets, it goes in Tips and Tricks, but if I want to ASK the world their painting secrets, it goes in Questions and ANSWERS, which then presumably have exactly the same content as if those same people had just decided to write them down on their own cognizance. Time to merge these two subforums under a single "Modelling How-Tos" topic, IMHO... unless there's some well thought-out rationale to keep them separate... which I'd be very happy to hear.

bestest,

M.

I hear you, Matt. A lot of people post their questions in the Tips section because they're looking for tips, and I am constantly moving topics to the correct spot... but still, a question belongs in the section for questions.

The rationale is this: By having a separate Tips and Tricks section, people can go there to look for tips and techniques without needing to sift through all sorts of other people's questions. But your comment makes sense... the answer to a person's question inevitably results in a tip or trick or technique. You are correct on that point.

Maybe combining the Q&A with tips and tricks makes sense. Let me think about this.