Model Cars Magazine Forum

Engine colour paint.

G'day,

The Great Computer Crash of Not That Long Ago wiped out pretty much all of my stored information relevant to truck modelling. By far the most important loss was my collection of paint colours, in both enamel and acrylic, of the various makes of engine.

Would anybody be able to assist with a colour approximation for;

Detroit alpine green and the series 60 blue

Cat yellow, both the old and new

Cummins beige.

I think I have the Paccar white sorted. (Grinning!)

Thanks in advance,

Leon.

The autoparts store and the Caterpillar, Cummins and Detroit dealers should have the correct engine colors on spray can...I bought Detroit Alpine Green at O'Reilly Autoparts in L.A. and Cat Yellow at the Cat dealer over here.

By the way, old Cat yellow is at least pre 1970's so most of the on-highway truck engines should be new Cat yellow.

Edited by Force

Many of these are available from Duplicolor.

Krylon has both old and new Cat yellow as well as several other tractor colors (John Deere Green, Massy Red etc).

You can find several brands of paint offering "equipment yellow" which is simply a licensing avoidance new Cat yellow.

Fleetrite offers several engine colors. I have their Cummins Beige and International Blue, got them at an IH dealer.

Kimball Midwest offers quite a few engine and equipment colors in their Ultra Pro-Max line of paint. They do a US Forest Service Green as well.

I've seen some people recommend Tamiya Tan for Cummins beige, and British Interior Green is a decent match for DD Alpine Green particularly if you are going to get the engine dirty and oily anyway.

Edited by Aaronw

I've found that the Dupli-Color Alpine Green is quite dark for the 1970s Detroit Diesels. What I use is Testors Model Master Grun RLM 62. Here it is an a 1970 American-LaFrance Series 1000:

Curbside.jpg

For Cummins Beige, again the Dupli-Color seems too dark (almost Brown), so what I use is Tamiya Deck Tan XF55. Here it is an a 1980 Kenworth W900:

DSC00009.jpg

For Detroit Diesel Series60 Blue, I use Tamiya Medium Blue XF18. (Sorry, no pics of that yet!) It's a pretty close match.

• 3 years later...