Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 Comet for Fathers Day present

Jay t.

Like others have said, very nice job Jay. I especially like that you build it for you father. That touches me. Back in 1964 my family had a '61 Comet. My dad liked the car. But, then a friend of his bought a brand new '64 Comet Caliente 2-door hardtop with bucket seats and a V8. He let my father and I use it for an afternoon. From that point on, my father always wanted a '64 Comet Caliente. For years he would talked about how much he liked the looks of that car. Raising a family, preparing to start building a new house in couple of years, and other budgetary factors. He had to wait until '67 to by a new Comet. And again, because of budget reasons, it was not a fancy Caliente, but a Comet 202 2-door sedan with a 6. A nice car. And he was very happy with it. But he always dreamed of that '64 Caliente.

I'm glad your building the model for your dad now. Sorry to say, but the Model King reissue of that kit came out a few years after my dad had passed away. A couple of years before he passed a friend of mine found a beat up promo of a '61 for me. I planned on fixing it up and painting it the same color as our old '61. I wasn't going to give it to my dad, but I knew he would have gotten a kick out of seeing. Sad to say, I didn't finish before he died. It's one of my few models that's always out and display. And I'm sure my dad is looking down and is pleased.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

Your Comet is without a doubt, the nicest 64 Comet that I have ever seen!! Nicely and cleanly built with the perfect color to boot. I had a 1:1 convertible that I bought on a city impound auction for $15.00 back in 1975. It had some rust on one rear quarter but other than that, it was perfectly straight, shiny and complete! When I got it home, found a key that fit the ignition and got it fired up, it turned out to have a bad automatic, but I put another one in and had so much fun with that little car!!!

But back to your model - My hat is off to you for the purpose of the build.That was kind and thoughtful of you and I suspect that your love for your dad helped the project turn out just a bit better than you had expected it would. I keep looking at the photos and marveling at how pretty it is and wondering why these little cars were so quickly forgotten. They are seldom seen in 1:1 or kit form and to me, they certainly are one of the prettiest cars of their era. Well, maybe the word "cute" suits the Comet better but either way, the 64 Comet is by far the most appealing Comet of all time. How sad it is that we have come to where cars totally lack character and I have yet, aside from the newer Mustang convertibles in the right colors, to see anything that even begins to appeal to me. When the human heart stopped designing automobiles and computers started to takeover, it's been a steep, downhill road to ... well.. a place that is a lot hotter than it is here as far as I am concerned when it comes to new automobiles.

Thanks again for the comments guys. Unclescott, sorry to hear about your dad. I bet he would have loved to see that model. Those 61 Comets are pretty cool looking cars. Gary, cool story about your Comet those were the days. I'm glad I tried a few new tricks on this build. I totally agree with you about new cars as my daily drivers are 1983 and 1995 fords. When I drive the 83 it feels like being a kid again. Here are a few pics, first is dads 64 Comet when he bought it and how it sits now. The 65 Comet is his other car and when Moebius's 1965 Comet model comes out I will build one of that car as well.

post-11243-0-82488900-1400462405_thumb.j

post-11243-0-92538700-1400462414_thumb.j

post-11243-0-17280000-1400462423_thumb.j