Model Cars Magazine Forum

Using Pledge Floor Care Tile & Vinyl Floor Finish with Future Shine

m408

Nice. I use future for interior details and as a base for kosutte gin san powder. What do you do to keep dust off your bodies before spraying. You seem to handle your bodies pretty liberally while painting. Does your paint booth eliminate dust also? Are you misting water into the air before painting?

When you clear coat bodies with future and then move on to painting black window trim. If you make a mistake, what do you use to remove the paint without hurting the future?

Thanks! Great videos!

hello great video u did there does it matter what floor polish i use to clear my modal with mop and shine i cant get can u name some so i know what i can use thank u so much

hello great video u did there does it matter what floor polish i use to clear my modal with mop and shine i cant get can u name some so i know what i can use thank u so much

Here in the states there is Pledge Floor care (formerly future) and LA's Totally Awesome Mop & Shine. These are the only ones I have tried. Pledge costs $6.99 at Walmart for 32 oz (1 Qt) LA's Cost $1.00 at the dollar general, dollar tree etc...32 oz (1QT) Here is a pic of the Pledge. If you are in the UK it is called KLEAR and I have no price but is 946ml which is 32 oz (1QT) here.

post-9740-0-92117800-1394257010_thumb.jp

Nice. I use future for interior details and as a base for kosutte gin san powder. What do you do to keep dust off your bodies before spraying. You seem to handle your bodies pretty liberally while painting. Does your paint booth eliminate dust also? Are you misting water into the air before painting?

When you clear coat bodies with future and then move on to painting black window trim. If you make a mistake, what do you use to remove the paint without hurting the future?

Thanks! Great videos!

James, before I paint I vacuum the area and vacuum my booth. I then add a bowl of water to my airbrush and mist the booth all over and around it. This eliminates as much as possible. I have two birds that fly around and a large dog as well so vacuuming is a must. When I paint my acrylics I use a hairdryer and within two minutes I can touch, handle and tape them and immediately after that I can paint next color. I can paint a main color. Tape paint a second color and then clear a body in less then two hours. Add another hour to polish it and it is done minus foil work of which I will have a vid up on that tomorrow. My paint booth is only designed to remove overspray and fumes of which with acrylics I have no fumes.The way I do any kind of trim paint work is I use acrylic craft paint and mix it with LA's mop & shine. 2 drops paint four drops mop & shine. I mix it well then put it on. Usually you just load a thin brush and touch a top corner and it will run down inside the channel. or you can run the brush along the channel. No taping at all. Let dry 20 minutes then wet a Q-Tip with tap water and roll it on a paper towel so it is moist, not wet. Then just rub off any excess trim paint. Very easy. I will be doing a tutorial vid of this and panel lines. shortly as well. If you have not yet go to my video above click on YouTube link in bottom right corner and you can visit all my video's I have. Some tutorials and other builds I have done. Any other question please feel free to ask. I hope this helps answer your questions.

I STILL do not understand how you guys spray this stuff on and it not bead up and roll off the body like it does when I have tried.

Hello Mark. Questions for you. First what are you using for your acrylic paint? what are you using to thin it? and what is your thinning ratio? second what air pressure are you shooting at? Do you have a moisture trap? I k now it's dry in Phoenix but right now may be humid. What is the airbrush and needle size you are using? All these are factors on problems. Knowing this info can help me try to figure out what is happening.

It sounds to me like one: to much air pressure. two: paint to thin. three gun to close to part.

I was wondering if you watched my video I posted above? It goes into detail to spray this stuff. I am assuming you did watch it and read comments here and tried some of the topics mentioned in this thread to help fix these problems before making your post. If you have not or missed it somehow please watch it and try my methods. If you still have problems come back and answer my questions above and I will see what I can do to help you figure this out. Best of luck.

Chris, do you know if the Mop & Shine will work as a barrier coat to prevent colored plastic from bleeding?

Sorry David, I heard not to use floor polish as a primer as it will not adhere to plastic. I myself have never tried that. as a bleed barrier I would put down whatever color you are doing for a main and put a few light coats on then Mop & Shine as a bleed barrier and then main color. It would be worth experimenting with.

Hello Mark. Questions for you. First what are you using for your acrylic paint? what are you using to thin it? and what is your thinning ratio? second what air pressure are you shooting at? Do you have a moisture trap? I k now it's dry in Phoenix but right now may be humid. What is the airbrush and needle size you are using? All these are factors on problems. Knowing this info can help me try to figure out what is happening.

It sounds to me like one: to much air pressure. two: paint to thin. three gun to close to part.

I was wondering if you watched my video I posted above? It goes into detail to spray this stuff. I am assuming you did watch it and read comments here and tried some of the topics mentioned in this thread to help fix these problems before making your post. If you have not or missed it somehow please watch it and try my methods. If you still have problems come back and answer my questions above and I will see what I can do to help you figure this out. Best of luck.

Thanks, I shot the pledge straight from the bottle, no thinning. About 12-15 PSI, trying a small and medium needle(sorry, do not recall the actual size). I do use a moisture trap.It is not the end of the world if I do not get it. I still mostly use laquers but thought it would just make another option available to me. Oh, and you bet, I did watch the video. Thanks for posting. I will try again someday.

• 3 months later...

So I've read this whole topic and got some info and pros and cons. I'm staring to hate the rattle can clears as recently just been having some issues and would like to give this a try.

I'm trying to understand those who've said that they've lost interest in it as using pledge as a clear coat, why?

Does it not give you a quality car show gloss finish?

How many coats can you apply & wait time before next coat?

Can you mask over it, example say you want to dull coat a vinyl top once you clear coat the body.

Can you BMF after?

I use rattle cans on all my models and some times clear coating is the sketchy job cus of the nice pattern work or paint you have as a base that you don't want to ruin. If this methods works and someone can answer my questions above I'll give it a shot.

Plus any recent clear pics would be helpfull too.

post-9740-0-88764800-1404960846_thumb.jppost-9740-0-35795400-1404960883_thumb.jppost-9740-0-84211700-1404960940_thumb.jppost-9740-0-88402800-1404960978_thumb.jpIsmael, I am wondering if you watched the video I did that happens to be at the top of the page? It will answer all the questions you have concerning Pledge floor care. It was formally future floor care. I Use LA's Totally awesome mop and shine in the video as it is the same stuff only cheaper. So to begin with question #1:

It will give a quality show car shine.

#2 It dries quick so put a few light mist coats on and wait ten minutes and repeat. It will start out flat/dull but the more you put on the shinier it will get.

#3 You can mask over it without any problems.

#4 You can BMF over the top as a gloss is required for BMF to properly adhere.

Another helpful hint is this is an acrylic based clear. I use Aqua Net hair spray and put a heavy coat on some models with a lot of pin striping. This puts a water proof barrier between your paint and clear that is clear. Then spray your Pledge over that until you get the shine you want. I do this in case I have a problem like dust I can easily wipe of the clear in the sink under hot water with out touching the paint underneath it. Here are models I have done with all acrylic paints with Future type floor polish for clear coats. Here is a link to my YouTube Channel tutorial playlist that may have some helpful tips that you can use.

www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWmDDhf1nNnxvW9Jh_uNc9PkIUZm167M6

I was a big fan of it, but after it spider cracked three finishes in a row I quit using it and switched to Testors Wet-look. It may still work awesome over paint for some, but for whatever reason in my area it just began to fail me too often.

Ok so the wife is at walmart and found the PLEDGE WITH THE BOOTS on it and is bringing it home tonight. Gonna give this a shot on a test body and see how well it works :)

For those using brushes what and pics of the one to use works best to brush it on?

Ok so the wife is at walmart and found the PLEDGE WITH THE BOOTS on it and is bringing it home tonight. Gonna give this a shot on a test body and see how well it works :)

For those using brushes what and pics of the one to use works best to brush it on?

Keep in mind I have heard that Pledge floor shine does not stick on bare plastic. I suggest you get some cheap acrylic craft paint. 59 cents for two ounces at Walmart and brush that on let dry 15 minutes or use a hairdryer then apply the pledge. Let dry. A fluffy wide brush is best. Apply in thin coat then add more thin coats each until desired shine. Then go rinse it off in the sink and repeat. Do this as many times as you want until you feel comfortable with the results.

Keep in mind I have heard that Pledge floor shine does not stick on bare plastic. I suggest you get some cheap acrylic craft paint. 59 cents for two ounces at Walmart and brush that on let dry 15 minutes or use a hairdryer then apply the pledge. Let dry. A fluffy wide brush is best. Apply in thin coat then add more thin coats each until desired shine. Then go rinse it off in the sink and repeat. Do this as many times as you want until you feel comfortable with the results.

the spare body is painted :), and i'll do as your info says, thanks again.