Model Cars Magazine Forum

Using Pledge Floor Care Tile & Vinyl Floor Finish with Future Shine

m408

No Walmarts? They carry it.

NOPE I've stopped at Wal-Mart, 2 different stores 2 different locations BOTH have WAY different merchandise for sale thinking one might have it on the off chance, NO LUCK!

Then I tried the local K-Mart, they're even worse off then Wal-Mart the people there didn't even know what I was talking about!

Then I was told try hardware stores, SO, off to Lowes, Home Depot, Ace, True Value, Aubuchon, even some small family owned hardware stores NOTHING!

Should have added that it's not called Future any longer. It's now Pledge Floor Care Tile & Vinyl Floor Finish.

So, its under a DIFFERENT name? ARE you sure its the same stuff?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

-I wanna try the stuff on car tires for adding decals and sealing gel pen ink to them, BUT for the life of me, can not get the stuff locally....... NO WHERE local to me carries it and most only to seem to remember it it, nothing more......

I'd actually pay someone for a bottle of it and cost of shipping if it can still be purchased!

Try MegaHobby - I bought a 4oz bottle of it there years ago... They obviously had taken it out of a full bottle, but that's OK - it still works... but I absolutely will not use it as a finish on my cars. I have found both Testors and Tamiya's high-gloss lacquers to be just my ticket!

I found pledge at the local ace hardware and say Walmart. One of the things you can try is get the manager of the wal mart, make him aware of a demand and the will probably start stocking it. Or they may order it for you.

Bon chance

Bob G gregory

Ruining one model at a time.

Try MegaHobby - I bought a 4oz bottle of it there years ago... They obviously had taken it out of a full bottle, but that's OK - it still works... but I absolutely will not use it as a finish on my cars. I have found both Testors and Tamiya's high-gloss lacquers to be just my ticket!

I myself WILL NOT use it for a finish either, I'm a BIG and I mean BIG Testors supporter, been using it for years and do very well with it. (I have some Testors paint, like new, from 1977! AND it still works as tho it was bought, yesterday!

HOWEVER, I want to try it for a tire cover, to add decals to vinyl tires...... AND maybe "protect" chrome plating, I've read where it doesn't change the chrome "shine" when added! -I am skeptical on this one....

But adding decals to tires, I hear it is the best, which is why I wanna try it, PLUS I've read where it will "seal" white gel pen ink markings on raised tire letters to not rub off.......

I found pledge at the local ace hardware and say Walmart. One of the things you can try is get the manager of the wal mart, make him aware of a demand and the will probably start stocking it. Or they may order it for you.

Bon chance

Bob G gregory

Ruining one model at a time.

Tried that locally, both stores, BOTH managers are numb...... or act like it! Had no idea what I was even talking about, or referring too!

• 1 month later...

I used Future/Pledge as a gloss coat on my Trumpeter 1/12 scale Ford GT. It developed micro cracks on the roof. Maybe I put it on too thick. Plus, I do not think that it has as nice a deep finish as a clear  lacquer. Does anyone know if it is possible to polish Future/Pledge? 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Never had any luck with it. In my experience it doesn't dry with a nice shine and it cant be polished or buffed, plus you cant find it in any store over here (much like everything when it comes to hobby supplies). I just use automotive grade lacquer, looks best and can be wet sanded and buffed just like a real car, requires a lot of ventilation though.

• 1 month later...

I went in my local grocery last week to pick up a bottle of Pledge as usual but they were out. I asked the owner if he could restock the shelf and he said he would. A few days later I spoke to him and he said when he contacted his wholesaler to reorder more they told him SC Johnson was disconitueing the Pledge floor care.

I put my wife on full Pledge alert and she brought home 6 bottles yesterday and seven more bottles today. Walmart and Kmart say they have it but when you visit the store they don't have it and don't know what your asking for. Home depot has it online for $42.00 a bottle.

I picked up some at Sears Hardware, and can still find it on shelves at other retailers around Houston. I have found it makes a pretty good window tint. Add a few drops of water-based  Testors Gloss Back, stir, and dip your subject. I usually hang it to dry, with a paper towel just touching one edge to wick off excess. Still experimenting with it, and may try some other water-based paint colors to see if it also works for tinting taillight lenses, side markers, turn signals, etc.

• 3 months later...

As i've been using it for many years, I too have experienced this "spider cracking" phenomenon over the course of a couple projects. I notice it has to do with the type of paint and how long it "cured". It doesn't matter if your paint is glossy or semi-gloss, it has to cure for at least a week or two even if its dry to touch. There were times I thought "the paint is super dry after two days so it must be cured enough" and applied it, after a few minutes it would crack like a mutha and caused repaints!

I also notice it reacts very badly with Testors enamels and some of the one coat lacquers, so i'd give three or more weeks with curing with those.

But overall, I get very good results and sometimes the cracking is very minor that I just ignore it. It cannot be any worse than my experiences with clear sprays that would fog like ship!