Model Cars Magazine Forum

Using Pledge Floor Care Tile & Vinyl Floor Finish with Future Shine

m408

I'm hearing from various modeling circles that the newest version of the product does not have the word "Future" anywhere on the package, and this new version is indeed a different-- and inferior-- product from the original Future. I have not verified that fact, but I know there are folks scrambling around to different retailers looking for the older packaging.

Guest G Holding

I'm hearing from various modeling circles that the newest version of the product does not have the word "Future" anywhere on the package, and this new version is indeed a different-- and inferior-- product from the original Future. I have not verified that fact, but I know there are folks scrambling around to different retailers looking for the older packaging.

Newer than the 2011 packaging I posted above ?

Brand-new packaging. It's not even on the company website. This is an image from a poster on the FSM forum:

IMAG0358.jpg

According to the manufacturer, it is the same product as the old Future. However, there are some people saying it's not.

It is possible they may have gotten hold of another product and are confused by SC Johnson's marketing department:

product-large-pledge-clean--shine-multi-

Notice "cleaner" on the label. That's a dead-giveaway that it would not be suitable for model-building duty. Bottom line right now is that if it says "Future" on the label, it's good. My gut says the newest version is good and some people have gotten the wrong bottle.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am a plane and military vehicle builder. I posted my "40 Ford Tudor sedan and '32 Ford Vicky here. A couple of comments asked me about my brush-painting techniques. I won't comment on the paint technique here, but I will explain how I use Future as my gloss overcoat method. I brush-painted both with Testors square-bottle enamels. I put a Future overcoat on both. I am using the last of the original bottle of Future that I bought in the late'80s when modelers started using the stuff. I have decanted the remains of the original bottle into an old brown glass pharmacy bottle with a tight -sealing cap that I got acetone in years ago. I have used Q-tips for small jobs in the past. Now I use either a medium or large synthetic bristle SOFT brush that I bought at Hobby Lobby. I use the brushes on most of my airplanes with a gloss finish and both of the above cars. I also use Future as a bedding solution for decals, especially old and fragile ones. I use a second coat on the decals to seal them in after the first coat is fully cured. I also Future clear parts to prevent fogging with CA adhesive fumes. Adios, Larry. B)

• 3 months later...

Sorry to be late coming into this topic, but having just finished painting a satisfactory job on the 4th body of my 1st official kit after almost 50 years in between (there were circumstances), I was tired of rattle cans in general and when I knew I had to clear my finally perfected paint, I was hesitant to use Testors One Coat clear. After 2 days searching locally, I could not find the lable with the atomic symbol on it on any Pledge product, much less the phrase "with Future Shine". I did find the one with the booties on the lable; in addition the store pulled up their stock number and it did show the "atomic symbol". However, I'd also been to Food Lion and picked up a bottle of Holloway House Shine product, all green labeling, self-leveling, biodegradable, etc. I had two bodies which were scrapped pain jobs so I proceeded to brush the product on both, including a section which had been hand sanded down to a 2nd coat of base coat and was dull and scratched with about 1000 grit.

Results - BOTH products produced a fantastic shine. Holloway house too a little longer to dry, but leveled better. I'm choosing Holloway House for my current kit. Neither one worked well as a decal cover/protectant on sanded slicks with Goodyear decals, or on flat black racing hoods with Dzus fasterners (duh). However, a quick shot of dull clearcoat on the hoods reduced the minor glare of the product covering the fasteners. Testor's makes a great decal product for this in a little paint sized bottle.

Jut my .02 on this VERY interesting subject (think old Artie Johnson). I think all amatuer modelers who've had bad results with spray rattle can clear coats will benefit from testing these products on a couple of painted, junked bodies and make up your own mind!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's not called Future anymore, it's now Pledge Floor Care...

http://www.amazon.com/Johnson-11182-27oz-Pledge-Futureshine/dp/B000ARPH4C

I've read several articles stating the 'new improved re-named' product isn't the same and doesn't work like the old one. Any truth to this? I've never used it myself, but I've thought of trying it...just to know.