Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Revell Kenworth heavy hauler

12 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Ok, so I saw a picture of this elusive beauty for the first time today. What a truck - sad thing is I cant find one anywhere.

Does anyone know of any sources to find one or what the story is on this kit ?

KWHH.jpg

I would love to get this for myself for that upcoming Five oh Birthday

Posted · Report post

That is a nice kit. I wish revell would re-release all the truck kits. There are so many that were discontinued that we all here wish werent. The list is long for sure. Ive only seen it on ebay from time to time, the price is out of reach for me.

Posted · Report post

Ive only seen these old k100 kw's on ebay and they do cost a pretty penny sometimes upwards of 300 u.s dollars

Posted (edited) · Report post

That truck kit was available from 1986 to 1989 and another version called The Oriental Express from 1990 to 1994, a fun thing is that you could build it either as a dual-drive or tri-drive as there were frame extensions, a third drive axle with suspension and wheel set in these kit.

I bought a Revell AG Kenworth K-100 VIT "Australia" truck (only dual-drive) back in the mid to late 80's and they were also available as Aerodyne at the same time with a different roof section, and I think the last issued Revell AG KW K-100 kit was about 10 years ago so I think they are long overdue for reissuing.

Edited by Force

Posted · Report post

This is a good kit to get . The only thing that I was disappointed with is that the blue on the sides of the cab is not on the decal sheet so you have to paint your own . Trying to get it the correct shape from the box lid is nearly impossible . Im not sure if it was planed that way or if I had some duff decals. All i know is that it spoiled the build for me becuse the rig on the box looks great and at the time my painting skills where not that good.

Posted · Report post

I wish they would reissue that one my self! I would definitely buy at least 4.saw one on ebay a month ago sold for $259.00 not counting shipping.but then again you could also buy 2 amt k123 kits and build something very close to that for around 60 bucks.

Posted · Report post

I had that kit, but was pursuaded to trade it and I regretted for many years. I recently found an Orient Express on Ebay which is the same kit just different decals. They do pop up on Ebay but you have to be patient and be prepared to dig deep in your pockets for it. As others have said if you buy two of the reissue KW cabovers you can build your own for a fraction of the price of the Revell kit.

Posted · Report post

keep watching e-bay, and hope someone is asleep at the wheel, some times you can score a deal. as mentioned though, these kits demand some coin from what I have seen on the bay.

I too wish a lot of these kits would be reissued, every time I turn around it seems I see a kit I had not seen before, and the wheels start turning............

you could also buy 2 amt k123 kits and build something very close to that for around 60 bucks.

True enough , but that boxart is really catchy.

Somewhere there has to be one sleeping in a closet... :lol:

Edited by Old Buckaroo

I had that kit, but was pursuaded to trade it and I regretted for many years. I recently found an Orient Express on Ebay which is the same kit just different decals. They do pop up on Ebay but you have to be patient and be prepared to dig deep in your pockets for it. As others have said if you buy two of the reissue KW cabovers you can build your own for a fraction of the price of the Revell kit.

You could do that but you will have some problems to solve to do a similar build.

First...the cab is too short in the AMT K123 kit (if that matters), it has a 86 inch cab and the Revell kit has a 108 inch V.I.T. cab and yes you can of course lengthen it as you in this case will have two cabs.

Second...the rear suspension on the AMT kit is a Hendrickson Walking Beam and I don't know how you can do to modify that to a Tri-Drive as the beam that holds the two drive axles are hanged from the center, the Revell kit has a KW AG 100 air ride wich is easier to do a Tri-Drive with...the AG 100 suspension from the AMT K100 Aerodyne is available in resin from Melbourne Model Truck Accessories wich is complete with drive axles and prop shaft but you'll need two sets to do a Tri-Drive...of course everything can be done but I don't know if it's worth it.

Another way to go is to base the build on the AMT K100 Aerodyne kit, in that case you only need one more suspension kit and some wheels, and you are close to done...you don't even have to lengthen the frame as it's probably long enough as it is.

But Revell AG has reissued some of their truck kits recently, the Peterbilt 359 Tractor and the 359 Wrecker, the KW W900/T900 Tractor and W900 Wrecker, so hopefully they will reissue the K100 kits soon....I have suggested that at their "Share Your Dreams" site a couple of days ago so you can go in there to vote for it. http://ideas.revell.de/ideas/item/4054/

Edited by Force

I have build the Oriental Express build and this one in stock (sorry guys not for sale) The base of this kit is the same as the K100 kits from Revell. You just need to cut the chassis and build in an extra axle. It is a nice kit though.

IMG_4900-vi.jpg

I put the front wheels that Revell used for their 'Can do' wrecker and 'Bill signs' Peterbilt on it.

Hessel

Edited by Hessel Hemstra

Posted · Report post

great looing k/w !