Model Cars Magazine Forum

Airfix 1/32nd Bugle Buggy

PatW

A few more...............

Wheels painted

11_zpsf1d648e4.jpg

Starting to paint the engine..................

12_zps0e69631f.jpg

The Black gloss painted front axle assembly, with steering gear, shocks and twin nerf bars..................

15_zpsf45525f8.jpg

At the moment the gearbox is being painted silver, and the body, dash and rear windscreen surround and second coat of gloss Orange.

So just waiting for those to dry, back soon.

Thanks Jonathan, yes a little smaller than my norm but why not!

Two pics from today's work..............

16_zps7e195896.jpg

Chassis done and...........

24_zps07692e6f.jpg

As it's hot today in the UK the second coat of gloss Orange has dried and the first coat of clear has gone on.

Hopefully that will be OK tomorrow so that I can do some more.

Thanks Brizio, yes there is some good detail in these small kits and remembering this is from the 1970's!

Anyway I've been able to do a little more this evening in building the wheels and tyres (tyres are plastic and therefore two halves to each one)and hang them on the axles. That's the positive side...................

25_zps2b5f9def.jpg

28_zps93b9fde9.jpg

But on the negative side if you look closely at the Orange paint it has Orange peel! No pun intended. It's OK on the sides but has the rough surface on the bonnet and boot area's!

So I've turned the heating on in my little cabin, but only a little (to help harden the surface) so that in the morning I can assess whether it's going to all come off or I can rescue it with careful rubbing out, either way a busy day out there!

Edited by PatW

Thanks guys but this build seems to be over!

The old addage 'you learn something new each day' has come to bite me big time!

I was too in need for paint perfection and wanted to repaint the shell due to the Orange Peel effect on the Orange paint on the bodyshell.

So I went into my garage first thing and got a tin of brake fluid, this is what I used on numerous occasions to remove paint.

Yes after about an hour the paint just brushed off enough for me to repaint.

Unfortunately the soapy water was just too hot to wash off the brake fluid, the results are shown below......................

SAM_5050_zpsba5f9de8.jpg

SAM_5051_zps995a75db.jpg

I have found just one kit of the Airfix Bugle (used) on ebay (here in the UK) but I'm not too optimistic as the last one sold for nearly £80!

As a pensioner that's way out of my price range.

So otherwise it's game over!

Whoa , that's a lot of warpage ! If the water was hot enough to do that you wouldn't have been able put your hands in it ! Maybe something abut the plastic used in that old kit is different . . . I guess it doesn't really matter what caused it .

Too bad , it looks like a nice little kit . Hopefully you can get another body !

Thanks everyone. Yes rsxse240 I've always fancied one of those!

I was at our biggest VW aircooled show last year and saw not only 'Things' but also rebuilt Fridolins, they were Swiss Postal vans on VW aircooled chassis similar to the VW Camper Bus, with sliding side doors for the driver.

VWFridolin_zpscd69b12b.jpg

Edited by PatW

A repreive, a lifeline.

I've just won an ebay auction battle with a few others and got another kit! I'm also very glad it wasn't as expensive as the other one that went last week for £77!

So I need to wait for that to arrive next week.

Then the bodies will have a WARM soapy (not BLAZING HOT you twerp!) wash and rinse. Warm the Acrylic rattle can in HOT water, taes and go.

I shall keep the wrecked shell for a possible diorama.

As I will have another complete engine, gearbox and full rolling chassis I have invested in a new resin slotcar body in 1/32nd scale.

A chap in the UK makes various slotcar bodies with lexan windows and interiors. I won't of course need the interior.

It's a 1970's Porsche 914 race/rally shell with wide arches...

ResinPorsche9141-32ndscalestuhopkins_zps

So as he makes them I need to wait a week or two, taking into consideration the other orders he has.

As the Porsche was mid-engined so needs the engine-gearbox unit turned round, that will be all in a new thread I suppose.

Edited by PatW

Yes Wayne, I'm into scratchbuilding and what they call kit bashing. See my Manx 4X4 in the 'Under Glass section of this site, where I used three kits and a Flintstone resin body of a Meyers Manx.

Edited by PatW

Right here we are again.....

I've been very careful painting the new shell from the second kit. When test fitting the body to the floorpan the arches were touching the tyres so I had to trim up very thin strips of Plasticard and stick around the edge of the floorpan to lift the body.

Second test fit worked and painted the edge of the card with matt black and attach the body.....

46_zps6c362d90.jpg

All I have to do is fit the lights and number plates to finish it off.

Edited by PatW