Model Cars Magazine Forum

Plum Crazy vs Plum Crazy?

Is it me, or is the modern Plum Crazy a lighter shade than the original? I was looking at the newer Plum Crazy Challenger while at the dealership today and it almost looks like it's closer to the Testors' Purplicous than the Model Master Plum Crazy. I'm I seeing things or is that the case?

I think you've gone plumb crazy! :lol::P:D

More like curiousity, My kid sister is looking to trade her 3.5l '06 Charger SE on a new Challenger R/T Classic in either Plum Crazy or Header Orange. The salesman that sold me my 200 Touring a couple years back took her out in the Plum Crazy SRT-8 off the lot for a test drive, then encouraged her to unleash it :P

I'll have to see one in better light, especially if Bob can find her one of the remaining Plum Crazy cars still in inventory (apparently the color is no more.) We got to the dealer late enough that the light was both very harsh and low in the sky and made the color hard to tell until the sun went down.........and the dark didn't help that any either..........

BTW, here's the SRT-8 she drove parked next to her Charger.

20140521_202934_zpsc47a2ohi.jpg

Edited by Joe Handley

I was giving her a bad time about it, both on now having to own a car that's quicker than her big brother's (the 200's with the Pentastar are good for 6 something 0-60 runs and mid 14 second in the quarter.............stock) and that she will probably have to find herself another Cherokee for a winter beater........mine will be in use already :P

Edited by Joe Handley

Wonder if what you are seeing is the color variations between between solvent base single stage and the newer waterborne clear coat formula. Not to mention the original formulation probably had a bit of lead in it. Many of the newer metallic bits in today's paints were not even around when the original Plum Crazy Purple was new, they do reflect light differently.

Another thought might be that the new cars are tributes to their originals, so they didn't adhere to the original color formulas but made it to look like the original Plum Crazy Purple.

Honestly Skip, I was wondering those same things as I started this thread. Oh, she called our insurance agent and found out that it's only going to cost her $532 every 6 months to insure that car, I was expecting more than that and it's less than $200/yr more than the Charger is!

The two colors (old & new) are completely different. The new color is more vibrant and glossier than the original.

True factory original early Plum Crazy painted cars are very rare these days. I have it from a trusted source that many original cars were repainted early in their lives due to the poor wear characteristics of the original Plum Crazy paint, sometimes a different color. Most that have been repainted even in the supposed original shade are better looking and glossier than the old factory paint too, and often not the same exact shade.

The two colors (old & new) are completely different. The new color is more vibrant and glossier than the original.

True factory original early Plum Crazy painted cars are very rare these days. I have it from a trusted source that many original cars were repainted early in their lives due to the poor wear characteristics of the original Plum Crazy paint, sometimes a different color. Most that have been repainted even in the supposed original shade are better looking and glossier than the old factory paint too, and often not the same exact shade.

Real good point, I never thought of that.

Authentic '60s-70s "Plum Crazy" paint has been updated to "Prune Crazy." :lol:

Does your family own Chrysler stock? :lol:

We probably should be just given some, from at least both pairs of grandparents on, that's most of what we've bought since at least WW2 :P

A dyslexic guy walks into a bra...

Don't forget to tip your waitresses, folks... I'll be here all week.

Goodnight!

Did you hear the one about the dyslexic devil worshiper? He sold his soul to Santa. <rim shot> I'm here all week.