Model Cars Magazine Forum

Plum Crazy vs Plum Crazy?

Firstly may I say... I ONLY wish Dodge sold the Challengers/Chargers down here in Australia, stuff the colour, I'll take any colour if they sold 'em here!!! I know tonnes of guys who wish they could get 1, including my 21yo nephew ( who loves Mopars thanks to his uncle ?? )

With Ford/Holden closing their factories by 2016/17 & having no local performance vehicles for sale we all know Ford will be selling the Mustang here & strong rumours GM will be selling the next generation Camaro here, then Dodge REALLY needs to step up & sell their Chargers or Challengers here, or the Challengers replacement.

Ok as for the new "Plum Crazy" Vs the old... Most of you guys would know of the Velocity tv show, Graveyard Cars, I assume? The owner Mark Worman is a Mopar genius. I can't quite be 100% sure but I think it was in Season 1, where they were restoring a '71 Challenger R/T in Plum Crazy. He only uses PPG, as they were the original paint suppliers to Dodge/Plymouth back in the day. In the episode/s concerned he showed the differences in the new paint Vs the old, comparing paint cards to the original paint on the Challenger's door jam area. There is a slight difference but I believe how the eventual colour appears comes down to the clear-coats, not so much the base coats. He also had paints/sprays all his cars, unlike today's manufacturing painting process.

Edited by CJ1971

Firstly may I say... I ONLY wish Dodge sold the Challengers/Chargers down here in Australia, stuff the colour, I'll take any colour if they sold 'em here!!! I know tonnes of guys who wish they could get 1, including my 21yo nephew ( who loves Mopars thanks to his uncle )

If you want one so bad import one, simple as that. If your nephew wants one too, stick them in the same container and save some dollars.

Should've done it when our dollar was stronger.

If you want one so bad import one, simple as that. If your nephew wants one too, stick them in the same container and save some dollars.

Should've done it when our dollar was stronger.

When I want your advice pal, I'll ask for it.

and yet you lament the fact you can't get one? :huh: Reminds me of the guy at the gas station walking over to look at my friends V-8 Vega. " WOW! That's really nice. Wish I could afford something like that." as he turned and walked back to his $50,000 SUV. :blink:

Edited by Greg Myers

I'm not debating whether PPG was the paint provider back in the day, but the original cars were not clear coated.

Many of the original colors from the '60 and 70's cannot be reproduced exactly with todays paints, pigments and toners. Often though, they look prettier than the original, but that is a matter of opinion.

Well stop rambling on about buying one if you obviously don't want one that bad Pal.

Your attitude hasn't improved a whole lot with a name change has it.

Edited by checkmate