Model Cars Magazine Forum

Carter AFB's

Where not Carter AFB's OE on MoPars ? IIRC , '50's through '70's . These were used in the Dual Quad , especially Tall B Blocks due to low profile . I saw these on Cross Ram , Shorty ram and Hemi Mills . IO rebuilt on on a early '60's A Body , on a 383 . Thanx ..

I have a pair of resin Carter AFB's, but I have absolutely no idea where did they come from. Anyway they are top notch quality and need only minor cleanup. Though the carburetor throats need to be drilled open, as always.

89e17123-752d-4903-8b1d-76a1daee0688.jpg

I have a pair of resin Carter AFB's, but I have absolutely no idea where did they come from. Anyway they are top notch quality and need only minor cleanup. Though the carburetor throats need to be drilled open, as always.

89e17123-752d-4903-8b1d-76a1daee0688.jpg

Those look like holleys. They have vaccuum secondaries.

I agree, those are vacuum secondary holleys, there is a resin caster that sells those as carter AFB's.

Gee Mike, You been lookin over my shoulder? LOL. Just finished up the molds for them today in fact. I owe Mike a big thanks here as he gave me the masters. Thanks bro.

I hope you will use a photo of these newly mastered carbs to replace the one you are using currently for the carter/edelbrock carbs listed on your site (they have a photo of holley vacuum secondary carbs).

1/25-1/24 scale carburetors are kind of a pet peeve of mine. Accurately reproduced carbs of any kind are few and far between from what I've seen even in the aftermarket. As a modeler of early drag cars the carb or carbs are often front and center when you view the engine so poorly made carbs stand out like crazy.Particularly galling to me is the continued insistence on using those awful Monogram produced Holly Dominators by the after market resin producers and on otherwise beautiful pro stock models when Johan made some extremely nice ones that could have been used.

Yes I agree...the Jo-Han Holley 4500 Dominators from for example the 71 Sox&Martin 'Cuda are way better than the Monogram Dominators from their Pro Stock kits.

I also see a great need for better carburators, if you are trying to build correctly and true to the real cars you can't use Dominators all the time as they aren't used, or even allowed, on all racing engines, so nice looking well detailed Carter AFB's, Rochester Quadrajet and 4Jet's, Holley 4150 and 4160's and carburators from aftermarket manufacturers such as Demon are a must if you build race cars.

The carbs are kind of the focal point on a racing engine as they mostly doesn't have air cleaners...so I'm constantly looking for good carburators for my builds, both 2 barrels (for Six-Pack/Tri-Power setups) and 4 barrels and of all manufacturers.

Edited by Force

• 5 months later...

That should be a Thermo-quad on the Duster's 340

Exactly .

The last year that the AFB (Aluminum Four Barrel) was used by MoPar on its factory-produced vehicles was in c.1967 . The AVS (Air Valve Secondary) was employed from c.1967-1970 . The Thermoquad was first employed on the 1971 340 (800 cfm) , then the 400 (850 cfm) , with the 440 (again , 850 cfm) joining for 1973 , and the then-new 1974 high-perf 360 (800 cfm) .