Model Cars Magazine Forum

Exner's '66 Packard (Renwal Revival)

realgone58

Was lucky to score one of these advertised as possibly not complete. I've included a "before" pic. Thankfully, the only thing missing is one exhaust tip. The body was heavily glued together, so I had to carefully mask it for the two tone. The dark green metallic is Dupli color laquer and the lighter green is Rustoleum satin finish. I then masked off the fabric part of the roof to leave it satin, and cleared the rest of the car with DuPont 7480S. I applied BMF to the front wheel lip moldings, and also around the fabric landau roof. I've got two of these revivals, now I need to score the other five for a complete set!

IMG_4300.JPG

IMG_4301.JPG

IMG_4303.JPG

IMG_4304.JPG

IMG_4305.JPG

IMG_4306.JPG

IMG_4308.JPG

kits%252066%2520packard%2520before.JPG

Great save, nice work! I built a couple of these back when they were new but I never did get the styling connections they were trying to make with the classics, I guess I still don't? This one really isn't that bad, the Mercer was a piece of work however.

Great save, nice work! I built a couple of these back when they were new but I never did get the styling connections they were trying to make with the classics, I guess I still don't? This one really isn't that bad, the Mercer was a piece of work however.

LOL........I'll agree about the Mercer. I still want to have all seven of them however. Mostly because Virgil Exner is my favorite stylist ever.

I keep wondering if Revell-Mongram, the owner's of Rewal's tooling, still have the molds for the Revival kits? I'd love to see them come back. Any way, very nice job on the Packard Alan.

Scott

Do you really want to see them as the next seven Revell releases? :lol: Renwal models were marginal quality when they were new. I don't see these as viable today. Maybe they would sell a few cases to guys who remember them, but the rest would hit the clearance rack.

Do you really want to see them as the next seven Revell releases? :lol: Renwal models were marginal quality when they were new. I don't see these as viable today. Maybe they would sell a few cases to guys who remember them, but the rest would hit the clearance rack.

Yes I do. I'm tired of people telling me it's not OK to want see old kits like these reissued. That Revell or who ever can use their resources better. Just because it's something you may not favor, doesn't mean others can't want it. Now do I really expect that Revell will ever reissue the old Rewal Revival kits? I doubt it. Were the old Rewal Revival kits any good? By today's standards probably not. But I would still love to see them.

People need to quit be a wet blankets. Telling us what we must or must not like or want. It is OK that I want something different than you do.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

Yes I do. I'm tired of people telling me it's not OK to want see old kits like these reissued. That Revell or who ever can use their resources better. Just because it's something you may not favor, doesn't mean others can't want it. Now do I really expect that Revell will ever reissue the old Rewal Revival kits? I doubt it. Were the old Rewal Revival kits any good? By today's standards probably not. But I would still love to see them.

People need to quit be a wet blankets. Telling us what we must or must not like or want. It is OK that I want something different than you do.

Scott

Touchy touchy! :rolleyes:

I like the business end of the hobby and when kit releases are mentioned I always run them through the 'sales' filter. It has nothing to do with my liking or not liking the subject. Actually I LIKE the old Renwal classics and enjoy seeing them built up nice and posted on the boards. I actually own a couple. They aren't elusive, an eBay search agent would find them regularly in the $20-50 price range. Figure that a new kit is $20-25, that's not bad and if you were diligent you could probably buy examples at the low end of this range.

Kudos. Wonderful job. Be sure you bring it to shows so everyone can enjoy it.

Nice work... but that's one ugly car!

This is one of those cars that are beautiful and ugly at the same time. If you crop it down to isolated segments they're beautiful. But as a whole, the sections fight with each other. Probably why I'm so endeared to it, along with other six Renwal head scratchers.

Kudos. Wonderful job. Be sure you bring it to shows so everyone can enjoy it.

This is one of those cars that are beautiful and ugly at the same time. If you crop it down to isolated segments they're beautiful. But as a whole, the sections fight with each other. Probably why I'm so endeared to it, along with other six Renwal head scratchers.

Mike, I think you hit the nail on the head here.

• 2 years later...