Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bobber hot rod - chassis work 6/12

Jantrix

I set it up per the instructions, the three exhaust ports are facing the outside.

The three exhaust ports can be facing outside and the heads can still be on upside down.

What I'm seeing on your photos is the combustion chamber detail that's molded into the bottoms of the heads is facing UP instead of down. At least, that's what it looks like to me... but I MAY be seeing things, or be cross-eyed or I might just be totally incapable of interpreting a photograph correctly. 

Anyway, circular things shouldn't be seen on the tops of the heads. Long rectangular things where the valve covers mount is what you should see.

Notice frame #2, part number 13 on your instructions. 13 is the cylinder head. It has a long rectangle on top, not 4 circular things that seem to be in your photos.

The 4 circular things go on the bottom.

You can have the circular things on the bottom and still have the three ports to the outside like they're supposed to be. Honest.

I've built dozens of these Revell Caddy parts-pack engines, have two on the bench right now. :D

There's a shot of a de-chromed Caddy engine with the heads on right-side up towards the bottom of this thread (there's also a shot of the engine with NO heads on it, which DOES have 4 round things showing... which would be the cylinders, that the round combustion chambers on the under-surface of the heads should mate to.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Looking good, I like the trunk! Had a mocked up '37 cab a while back that I was going to do something similar with, but went in a different direction.

Re: the cylinder heads..I think if you check those instructions again, you'll see the valve covers mount onto the blank rectangular face of the heads, rather than the face etched with combustion chamber detail. In other words, the heads are swapped directly left-for-right; if they were coins they'd be oriented correctly but with "tails" facing to the outside instead of "heads" facing to the outside.

The three exhaust ports can be facing outside and the heads can still be on upside down.

The 4 circular things go on the bottom.

You can have the circular things on the bottom and still have the three ports to the outside like they're supposed to be. Honest.

Oh geez. I cannot believe I did that. I do know where the combustion chamber should be. Oh these are gonna be fun to get off. Thanks for setting me straight guys. I'll get this corrected.

Oh geez. I cannot believe I did that. I do know where the combustion chamber should be. Oh these are gonna be fun to get off. Thanks for setting me straight guys. I'll get this corrected.

Don't feel bad, Rob. I've done my fair share of dohs too. 

I have a spare engine for you if you can't get the heads off clean.  :D

Don't feel bad, Rob. I've done my fair share of dohs too. 

I have a spare engine for you if you can't get the heads off clean.  :D

Thanks Bill, I was able to get the heads off. The benefit of using solvents. 

Impalow built something simular, check this linkhttp://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/105692-1926-model-t-sedan-somesortarod-finally-done-only-2months-late/?page=6

It inspired me, I hope this helps.

That is a very impressive piece. I'm going to just use the resin part from 'ol Crazyjim, well painted. If it doesn't do it for me, I'll think of something else. Like an old military footlocker.

• 9 months later...