Model Cars Magazine Forum

2001 American La France Pumper

Hi Guys,
I thought that I had posted this earlier, but couldn't find it. So, here goes... As my fictional fire department has several support units and smaller scale apparatus on the roster or "on order, we need to start "purchasing" some larger apparatus. Currently being "built" is this American La France Eagle pumper. The graphics will be similar to this Ventura County Fire engine:
The project began with the Trumpeter kit. I wanted to make roll up doors instead of the standard swing out doors provided in the kit. Careful removal of the doors and replacement of the frame material was built up from Evergreen styrene strip. The recessed style roll up doors were created from Evergreen v-groove sheet.
picsay-1384534796.jpg
picsay-1385271206.jpg
Note that in many of these photos, the body is just tacked together with masking tape for mock up.
picsay-1385271098.jpg
picsay-1385270994.jpg
picsay-1385270905.jpg
picsay-1386556008.jpg
20140214_064438.jpg

The paint separation line was lowered, and added with Evergreen half round strip. The kit's upper paint break line was sanded off, sealed and primed to prevent "ghosting". All chrome trim was masked off with Tamiya tape for later Alclad or BMF application.
Attention was now turned towards the pump panels. As many of today's apparatus have black gauge panels,I sought to replicate this look. I had stumbled upon this process and thought I would give it a try. I applied BMF to the areas that I wanted chrome or painted instead of the black.
1400724468_picsay-1400724468.jpg
For the textured black areas of the panel, I used Rustoleum Textured paint.
1400724380_picsay-1400724380.jpg
This is how the panel looked after the texture coating:
1400724104_picsay-1400724104.jpg
Some time, q-tips, fine microbrushes, andTamiya fine cotton swabs and small amounts of lacquer thinner revealed this:
1400804440_picsay-1400804440.jpg
Still have to remove the paint from the officer's side panel:
1400793578_picsay-1400793578.jpg
I also modified the area above the pump panel, cutting out and filling it to contain a hose reel.
picsay-1384666481.jpg
Future updates will show the hose reel and modified area above the pump. Let me know what you think. Thanks for looking!
David

Thanks for the kind comments! @ Jules, I have been involved in emergency services for 30+ years. Thanks Jim for the link. Jules, you can Google "American La France Eagle fire trucks" for reference photos. Here is another little update:

Cleaned off the officer's side panel. Still need to touch up the area where the water tank level lights are.
1400983396_picsay-1400983396.jpg
Here is the modified top area of the pump panel.
1400983323_picsay-1400983323.jpg
The hose reel was made from AMT ALF hose reel ends. The ends were sanded to a much thinner thickness, as from the box they are way too thick. The ends then had Evergreen round stock applied around the outside. The inside ends were filled with dissolved sprue, allowed to dry and sanded. The insides were then sanded flat. The hose reel frame was constructed from Evergreen stock.
1400983245_picsay-1400983245.jpg
Still have to decide on Alclad finishes for the diamondplate. I want to complement the colors and other metallic finishes. I appreciate your comments. Thanks for looking!
David

• 4 months later...

Hi Guys,

Another small update. Slowly painting panels and parts and mocking things up together. Decided for a little different look for the wheels. Stripped off the chrome on the caps, and painted them Vallejo "Dark Blue". This is almost an identical match for the color that the striping and graphics will be on the truck. Brings a little variety into the look as well.

20141020_052651_RichtoneHDR-picsay.jpg

While viewing the ladder rack of the kit, it looked too generic and bland. In an effort to dress it up a little, I took the following steps:

20141025_221315-picsay.jpg

20141025_221403-picsay.jpg

20141025_224617-picsay.jpg

20141025_223622-picsay.jpg

The open areas around the aluminum tubing will be filled in. The rectangular areas at the top of the ladder rack appear to be a storage compartment for a folding attic ladder. I plan to wrap this with diamond plate. Thanks for looking!

David

David that is some great work! To those of you who might not build a lot of fire apparatus, what you are seeing is the work of someone who has an eye for the details that set off his model from run of the mill stuff. At the same time he has updated a rig that is now several years old. Trumpeter did a pretty decent job on the kit so that it can be built box stock with good results. But David has made the leap to the next level with his work. I love it!

#OneStepForwardTwoStepsBack,#BeenThereDoneThat... Actually, I have never used hashtags before. I am SOOOO frustrated!!! While applying a gloss gray Krylon undercoat for my Alclad, I got a very uneven finish. Don't know if the surfaces weren't clean enough, bad can of paint, or operator error... Shook the heck out of the can to make sure it was mixed. Not looking for reasons why. Needless to say, the offending parts are now in the Purple Pond. I know that all the trim pieces will need to be re-applied and puttied, lots of repainting and masking... So much for having it done for an upcoming show... Stuff happens. I know we've all been there...

1415271823_20141104_234745-picsay.jpg

1415272005_20141104_234242-picsay.jpg

David

Edited by hooknladderno1

• 1 year later...

Here is a little update.  The rear body is glued together and the roll up door panels have been secured in place. Working on a hard suction hose. Roughed out the outlining of the windows with a custom mixed Vallejo "rubber" tone.   Lots more to do!

1447207511_20151110_210132_RichtoneHDR-p

Edited by hooknladderno1

No, Charlie I didn't. In the past when spraying Krylon Black as an undercoat for Alclad I didn't, and had no problems. A HUGE reminder to remember the BASICS...

David

A modeler's variation of the old fire service credo:   'Try before you pry.'