Model Cars Magazine Forum

70 Roadrunner

Ryanlat22

I was working on this model at the same time as my 65 chevy stepside pickup posted in the truck section which was interesting because I have never worked on two models at the same time before, but I liked how efficient the process was. I was able to get a lot more painting and building done at the same time which was nice.

Now onto the model, it is a Monogram 1/24 kit with centerline wheels from the heavy chevy chevelle and rear tires from the AMT superwagon. The 426 Hemi came from a 68 charger and the supercharger setup from the same heavy chevy. The paint is Model Masters Sublime Green which I know is a very common/overused color, but I like it. The model did not turn out exactly how I envisioned it, but my skills are just not at the same level as my imagination yet. I originally wanted it a little lower and meaner looking, but I am not unhappy with how it turned out. This was my first time trying embossing powder to emulate carpeting and it went relatively well but I will be better next time. My Reynolds Wrap foil trim skills are improving slowly but surely as are my engine wiring skills. I disliked having the exhaust, rear axle, driveshaft, and suspension as one piece so I cut it all apart for better detailing. I did not notice until I looked at these pictures that I forgot to glue the headers to the exhaust so I will have to fix that soon.

As always, thanks for looking and leave any comments or questions about the build.

post-12113-0-72184600-1400934714_thumb.j

post-12113-0-32175400-1400934716_thumb.j

post-12113-0-68023500-1400934717_thumb.j

post-12113-0-66146100-1400934718_thumb.j

post-12113-0-55353300-1400934720_thumb.j

post-12113-0-68968100-1400934721_thumb.j

post-12113-0-64136300-1400934722_thumb.j

I especially love the interior on the car. Very nice. Have to go to the truck section and see your '65 Chevy.

Scott

P.S. I always work on several kits at a time. The painting is one big reason. As the paint is drying I can work on something else. And if some parts from two or more kits need the same color, I paint them at the same time.

Thank you for the kind comments everyone, they really mean a lot to me!

I find it funny that you guys like the interior because I wasn't sure if I liked it or not when I finished, I thought there might have been too much green.

Harry, the reason I am using kitchen foil is budget. I decided that I would rather spend the money saved on foil to buy supplies that don't have similar products already laying around the house. It can be a pain to work with, especially the glue, but it makes me work a little harder and you can't beat free!

Thanks again and here is a picture I forgot to include before.

The crusty stuff on the distributor is super glue, I used it to attach the wires to the distributor cap and I may have gone a little overboard with the glue...

post-12113-0-97238400-1400986980_thumb.j

Edited by Ryanlat22

IDK man, 10.00 on a sheet of BMF and save hours of my life is worth it. I cut my BMF into strips and i have used the same sheet on 8 cars now and still have about an 1/8 of a sheet left. The car looks good, keep trying new things and you will find what works for you.

Any particular reason you're messing with Reynolds Wrap for chrome trim and not using Bare Metal Foil, which is a lot easier to use?

He's not the only one ... Lol I got turned on to using cheap WallyWorld foil and BMF adhesive from MicroScale years ago... As long as you use a sharp blade and take your time foiling, it works great Harry... I can't see spending 6 bucks for a sheet of foil when I can spend three bucks for the adhesive and a buck for the foil and I can foil maybe 30-40 cars with what I got... As long as you clear coat over the foil to make sure it seals it in...

Nice build...