Model Cars Magazine Forum

Where to get flathead v12.

the Mongram mill seems to have stock heads while the Parts Box has Hogan finned heads

Exactly. The tooling was made starting with the old Monogram 1/24 parts as a base, and was improved / modified from there. 3-carb intake manifold, separate exhaust manifolds, etc. But if you look closely at the transmissions, they are identical.

I am the person making the Lindbergh Lincoln Continentals into a Model Car . The first thing to go is the Blob of an Engine . I wanted stone Stock V/12's . I found these by contacting ; <wilsoncobraguy@comcast.com> .I bought 4 of these . I am thing I need one more . These are conversions from the '48 Ford Kit V/8's . I am unable to share pics again . I do recommend these for Stone Stock V/12's . The wheels / tires are next on the chopping block .. Thanx ..

Edited by dimaxion

>So ... um ... on the engine with the finned heads, where do the radiator hoses attach?

that may indeed be a good question, I forget what I did about that, but I do seem to remember they were plumbed with two hoses on the front of the heads.

jb

Here's the Early Years Resin Hot Rod Lincoln V12 as I built it (link: http://earlyyearsresin.webs.com/engines.htm - middle of the page). Clean crisp castings, it goes together nicely, it's reasonably priced, and delivery time is short. Highly recommended. All parts from their kit except for the exhaust headers and intake stacks, the transmission (I used an Early Years supplied LaSalle because it was shorter which I needed for my build), and miscellaneous detailing.

DSCF9121-web.jpg
DSCF9127-web.jpg

DSCF9178-web.jpg

Here's a picture from the Early Years site of the kit as supplied - :

junk010.jpg

Edited by Bernard Kron

Deano, on 02 Jun 2014 - 11:33 AM, said:So ... um ... on the engine with the finned heads, where do the radiator hoses attach?

The Lincoln V12 had the same cooling system as the early Ford V8's on which it was based . It had individual water pumps on the front of each head to which were attached the radiator hoses.

Edited by Bernard Kron

• 2 weeks later...

Deano, on 02 Jun 2014 - 11:33 AM, said:So ... um ... on the engine with the finned heads, where do the radiator hoses attach?

The Lincoln V12 had the same cooling system as the early Ford V8's on which it was based . It had individual water pumps on the front of each head to which were attached the radiator hoses.

Ummm...unfortunately, that only accounts for the LOWER hoses. The water pumps were actually on the lower corners of the block. The engines (both V8 and V12 flatheads) all also have 2 uppers. The driver's side pump is obscured in this drawing.

Lincoln_Zephyr_V12_engine_%28Autocar_Han

Water has to circulate into and back OUT of the engine. Cooled water FROM the radiator goes in to the engine through the 2 water pumps, and back out the top, TO the radiator. The V12 upper hoses are as shown here for a stocker...

1304sr-05-o%2B1930-ford-coupe%2B1946-lin

And something like this for an alloy-headded hot-rod engine...(the big holes at the top of the heads are for the water-necks that go to the hoses)

GarthHoganHeads.jpg

...or with cast-in water necks, like zo...

V12.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Thanks for the clarification and the detail pics. I always take one end or the other of the coolant routing as a given. This time it was the ports at the front of the heads which are included in the Early Years castings.

I just put it up for guys who might not be familiar with the oddities of flathead cooling systems. Two water pumps and 4 radiator hoses are unusual, compared to, say, muscle cars, and the cast-in necks aren't always obvious to guys who haven't seen the real deal. :)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Your pics make the water routing super clear. Even with the little 1/25th castings in front of you if you haven't seen a motor or aren't thinking in terms of the Lincoln V12 being 1 + 1/2 Ford V8s it isn't very obvious. It's easy to lose your way. Aftermarket parts don't generally come with instructions!

Those heads on the blown engine look real sweet. From the looks of the blower drive and other details that looks like all modern stuff. Are those modern heads?