Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bruce Larson Tribute car

A little update - I have the frame painted, most of the engine painted, the front lower plate that was attached to the seat painted aluminum and installed, the rear shelf painted aluminum, the interior tin needs a little more work and then a final primer coat.

http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/56ChevKRy/media/USA-1 Tribute car model/DSCF0164_zpsdqovsbdk.jpg.html

http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/56ChevKRy/media/USA-1 Tribute car model/DSCF0158_zpsoyiszskc.jpg.html

Obviously one photo is before the painting. I just ordered a different rear diff from VCG Resins which I hope will more closely match the 1:1 rear.

Thanks for looking .

Well, I was hoping the images would be there instead of links.

Edited by GoatGuy
images wanted, not a link

Tim - thanks. I tested 3 different reds and picked this one based on pics I took of the car, which I hear has been sold to a collector.

Chris - I am looking forward to getting more done too. With all the rain we're getting now, I won't be doing much painting though.

John - Thanks for looking. With help from Tim and you on this, I can't go wrong.

• 10 months later...

Guys, I've made some progress on this funny car lately and will post pics soon. I have the seat installed, the brake lever and most of the harness done too. Inspiration came from seeing all the great builds on here and going to Bruce's Dragfest back in November. And thanks to Tim for his guidance.

Here ya go Tim. Also got the air bottle done but couldn't find any correct decals for it. I assume it supplies air to his helmet? Or compressed air for the chutes? I failed to ask the builder the day I was at the shop. Dave Sherman, can you shed some light on it? The knob on top was the head of a small nail.

20170309_165628.jpg

20170304_125829.jpg

20170309_165706.jpg

dave, the bottle could be compressed air for an air shifter.  this would NOT be period correct for the original car but, you said this is a tribute car not the original. correct?   do you have some pics you could share of it's mounting and placement? might help a little.

Thanks Dave. The in-progress pics I downloaded. The finished pics in the shop I took myself. I was really glad to find these in-progress shots. They've helped a lot. I might add the holes to that back shelf, but I think it might make it too fragile.

• 3 weeks later...

The hoses are now attached to the puke tank and the rear shelf is on. I mocked up the bottle and battery on the shelf to see how the interior tin would fit, and it won't. I'll have to shorten the air bottle. Arrrghh. Holes are drilled in the shelf for the battery hold down. Thanks for looking.

DSCF0014.jpg

DSCF0015.jpg

Gotta agree with Dave.  No biggie for you on the bottle and the pic of the rear tray and set-up is looking good.  Looking forward to your next update Dave and if there are any particular parts I might be able to assist you with, send me a note & I'll check the stash to see what I might have.  cheers, tim

Thanks Brad for the encouragement. Yes, now and then I take a break to do some 2-dimensional art. Always like seeing your updates as well.

Dave, thanks. I wish I had taken more measurements of the real car. Hindsight, right? Now that the car is in the hands of a collector, I'll be estimating the sizes I don't have.

Tim, thanks as well. I appreciate the offer and all the help you've given before. Valuable. I don't think I'll have to cut the bottle too much. Thanks guys for looking.

The fun part comes when I try to Alclad the rear rims. John has given me some great tips.

Edited by GoatGuy
more info