Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bruce Larson Tribute car

Last year a tribute car was finished for Bruce that he can use for exhibition and burnouts without using the original '68 Camaro funnycar. It was not built for nostalgia competition. I had the honor of taking photos of it a few weeks ago and started a model of it using a Competition Resins body which needs about 1/8" added to the bottom of both sides to match the measurements I took of the body, parts from a Revell car found on ebay for $10, the Ross Gibson Hemi Hunter Chevy engine, Slixx decals, Daisy rear wheels from Speed City resin, front wheels from Harts Parts resin, a 9" Ford rear from Competition resins and a Powerglide trans from them too. DSCF0483a_zps76e3731f.jpgDSCF0032_zps1a12b714.jpgDSCF0115_zps481bdfbb.jpgDSCF0112_zps516c796e.jpgDSCF0114_zps71203728.jpg

The tranny in the first photo will not be used. That came with the engine. Also used are injectors and fuel tank from Calnaga Castings.

I had to shorten the Revell frame and restructure the back of it. I had to file down the injectors to match the size of the 1:1 unit which is 2.75" high. The window opening on the real car measures 14.5" top to bottom and the side from the bottom of the window to the bottom of the body is 28" so I will have to add about 1/8" to the bottom of each side. I really hope to finish this before I start another build. Ha. Almost forgot - the plastic bread wrapper clip is shown just to let you know they are to the best of my knowledge made of styrene and work great for making small parts needed.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by GoatGuy

The seat had to be altered to match the 1:1 seat by cutting off the vertical bottom part which will be added separately. It and the seat are separated by a horizontal part of the frame. The small green pieces that will hold the rearend were made from one of the bread wrapper clips. The slicks were generously donated by my good friend John Alclad Teresi. There will be a tray behind the driver that holds the battery and an air tank for the driver. Bruce happened to be there the day I took photos and I showed him the parts I had assembled. He was showing me which ones were correct and the ones that weren't. He said the body looked very good.

MCM, All I can say is AWESOME!!!! HUGE Bruce Larson fan back in the match race days of the 70s (Great Lakes Dragway Union Grove Wisconsin) Soon I too want to build a B.L. car. I Have the Heavy Hugger Revell Funny or the Model King Camaro to start as a platform. I have multiple decal sets for different cars B.L cars. I also want to do a Professor Kelly Chadwick build. I love the bread twist tie, I use those as well I think they work great!!! I will be watching this with much anticipation. What is the green material that will hold the 9"? Again VERY VERY NICE

Jwrass

James, that made me laugh. I am always looking for small parts that can be used in building cars. The small PE looking tabs on the top of the frame rails were small electrical clips I salvaged from something being thrown out. They will be part of the front "suspension" if you can call it that. Thanks for looking. I'll have more posted later today. Have you ever been to Bruce's barn to see his cars or to the Dragfest in November?

DSCF0116_zpsd98c0581.jpg0009696_zps5de35b09.jpg

I got the frame in primer along with the fire bottles which will be rounded instead of having the Revell grooves in them. And the roll cage part of the frame is painted red awaiting the flat blk for the padding. I also added a pic I found of the completed car. Thanks for looking.

Dave, I never have been to Bruce's or Dragfest (It's not men dressed like women is it, YIKES lol) I have been to Big Daddy's in Ocala a few times and the Pomona museum, those places are like catnip for Drag Race Fans. One of the displays at Bigs gets me choked up. I come from a typical middle class family of the 60s and 70s, my parents did not have allot of extra $$$$$. When I was 15 one of my friends got a Honda Mini Trail 50, I wanted one so bad, however Dad and Mon said I had to buy it myself as it was not in the cards financially, A few days latter Dad said that I could get one but I had to come up with half of the cost of the bike ( at that time I think they were about $400) with my paper route, garage band, mowing lawns, collecting bottles, robbing banks (my picture is still in post offices in 50 states) After some time I came up with my half, in Jan of 1971 I approached my parents and they said no can do now, bummer!!!!! On a Sat In Feb (the month I was born) my dad said lets go to the hobby shop and race our slot cars, we went, had a great time!!!! So on the way home my Dad stops at our local Honda dealer and there sits a beautiful blue mini trail 70 with a sign on it Happy Birthday Jim, my parent punked me!!! The display at Big Daddy's is of pit bikes, Honda supplied him with pit bikes, Mini Trail 50s and 70s and some on display are brand new they still have the knobbies on the tires. If you ever get a chance go to Bigs museum.

I have been watching your build and Chris Sobaks, you two guys are very creative and talented!!!! Keep us posted, can't get enough.

Cheers, Jimmy "Rass"

Dave, I forgot this in my other post. On the floor pan you have offset, joggle, blister What ever you want to call it, is that hand made? if so how did you make the impression. The more I look at this thing the more I likeeeeee. Great job man!!!!

Chris - thanks my good friend. I appreciate the encouragement. Still feeding on your Snake funnycar build.

Ron - thanks for looking in and for the encouragement.

James - No the Dragfest is cars. If you go to the 1:1 photo section and search for the Bruce Larson dragfest you can find pics I posted. Some day I hope to visit the Garlits museum. The floorpan is stock. That's the way it was made. Clearance for the bellhousing I guess. I don't know where Waterford is but hopefully it's not too far from Dauphin,PA where Bruce has the barn. I appreciate the comments and questions.

James - loved the minibike story.

• 1 year later...

Guys, this project has been dusted off and I'm making progress. The frame is painted, the engine had to be altered to fit inside the body, the tinwork is looking better and a puke tank made by Tim Hoagland is waiting to be installed. I will post pics soon. Thanks for looking.