Model Cars Magazine Forum

1934 Chevrolet Master 5-Window coupe.

landman

I have this old Chevy that I rescued from a field. I'd like to build a model of it. I probably won't get at it for a while but I'd like to start a thread at least to get some ideas, guidance, etc.

Someone suggested putting the top of a Ford coupe on a 1935 Chevy cabriolet diecast. I obtained one of each. Someone else suggested modifying a '32 metal kit. I got one of those. Had built one years ago but it is long gone.

An then there is the R&R resin kits assuming I can find some. I'm leaning hard on the resin kits. I'm open to suggestions.

post-13940-0-30986800-1401238033_thumb.j

post-13940-0-32212600-1401238531_thumb.j

post-13940-0-30041900-1401238532_thumb.j

I've seen SO many '32-'34 Fords with Chevy motors in them!! Please, would you PLEASE put a Ford motor in it? Somehow, I feel that if you would do this, it would bring all the planets and stars in alignment and help balance the universe! What do you think?

Such a COOOL project. I look forward to seeing this one to completion.

The good news is that I actually own a 34 Chev, "the real thing" and I am planning on putting a small block Ford in it, if i can ever get around to building it that is !

Anyway getting back to the build, I have a couple of R&R 34 Chev kits, one is the tudor which I am turning into a 34 Buick, the other is the 3 window. I have also cast up couple resin versions myself. I should point out that these are based off my own full sized 34 Chev and are completely different to the R&R versions. Anyway if you need any help with this project, I am more than happy to help just let me know what you need.

Edited by fractalign

Hi guys, thanks for the comments. When I restored the 1:1 car I stayed stock although with the condition it was in it would likely have been easier to rod it. Now though, there is no question of rodding the model. I intend to stay stock to the point of attempting to replicate the hydraulic front suspension and the dash of the Master.

This is what Dieter is referring to above for those who are interested in seeing the reconstruction of the actual car. http://forums.aaca.org/f190/reconstruction-34-chevy-master-coupe-297983.html .It is a rather long read but it shows how involved this project was. 8 years actually.

Robert, I very well may be in touch.

Greg, those are 32's. They would be difficult to modify like the '32 I have. Although there are people here who could do it with one hand behind their back.

Wayne, that is called "Light Chestnut". It is a GM color but not '34 Chevrolet. The purists will cringe...

Edited by landman

Hey Pat.

I have the MPC 32 Chevrolet Cabriolet and parts such as the engine and front and rear suspension would interchange quite easily, the problem is you would need to have a 1:25 scale 34 Chev to work with and your Diecast version is 1:24. Rather than trying to work with the die cast model you should towards using something else. As I mentioned previously I have cast up a number of 1:25 scale 34 Chev Models with full bodies and chassis.

I will be redoing them shortly and they will include Roadster, Utility ( an Australian version of a pick up), Coupe, Tourer, Tudor. I own a utility and I also have the body of a sedan as well as a collection of parts from the master and standard versions at my disposal including a master dash. So having ready access to 1:1 vehicles and parts means that these kits will be as accurate as you can get.

So if there is anything you need let me know and I will send it to you at my expense if you are happy to put it up on the forum.

Edited by fractalign

Sorry i dont have anything to add other than 'cool'

I've seen SO many '32-'34 Fords with Chevy motors in them!! Please, would you PLEASE put a Ford motor in it? Somehow, I feel that if you would do this, it would bring all the planets and stars in alignment and help balance the universe! What do you think?

What difference does it make? hot rodders have a long history of using whatever bits they have at hand.

The resin kit you've got up there has a ton of issues, like being sectioned more at the front than the rear of the lower body shell, a significant top-chop, the hood's WAY too short, the front and rear fenders are all wrong...etc. Getting that mess corrected to match the very nice proportions of the real one would be only marginally less work that scratch-building an entire car.

Thanks Bill,

I was aware of the chop but hadn't paid much attention to the rest. It all looked pretty good to me but now that you point it out......I wonder what Robert Sharp's look like. Robert, can you post some photos?

Thanks Bill,

I was aware of the chop but hadn't paid much attention to the rest. It all looked pretty good to me but now that you point it out......I wonder what Robert Sharp's look like. Robert, can you post some photos?

Hey Pat I would love to post some photo's up if I could work out the image code and how to reduce the file size etc, I will have a go at it, otherwise if you p.m me I can email some photo's through to you.

Cheers.

Pat I am just excited to see an old Chevy being built!!

Do You know how hard it is to get one of these kits?

I got one from Freds Model World years ago, and haven't seen another since!

It will be a real treat to see what You do with it, i can not wait!!

Thank You for sharing with Us

Robert, those castings of the Chevies? Your own personal stash??

Later Guys

Russ

;)

Hey Russell.

I created my own 34 Chev models years ago after taking measurements from my full size one. The first models i created were coupes, I then created some coupe utilities. These have the front half of the coupe mated to the back half of a pick up. If you can picture a 1934 El camino, that is what these look like. After casting up several I stopped. I will be redoing the model shortly. I also have a couple of the R&R 34 Chevs, a 3 window coupe and a tudor which is being turned into a 34 Buick kit.

After getting the two R&R kits, I was surprised to find they were not as accurate as my versions. I will be re launching my own versions once I have completed the 33 Dodge kits that i am working on. I am keen to put up some photo's which I will do when i have worked out how to upload them from my photo bucket account.