Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Ed Roth 57 Bel Air - Suddenly It's 1963!

The Handyman's the 2-door lowest trim level wagon. It has the 55-style 150 trim. I want to see one because they were popular junior stockers, and it would be an easy conversion to a sedan delivery which dominated junior stock for a few years because they were allowed to run Hydramatic transmissions due to a rules loophole. That's a Handyman in the near lane and a sedan delivery in the far lane.

A 4door 210 wagon would be cool, there's the well known "Jolly Green Giant" Junior stock. Really, I'd love to see any non-Nomad tri-five wagon, just to have the normal wagon roof and tail.

Couple years ago I picked up this "West Coast Choppers" diecast 1/25 '57 Chev 2-door wagon at Walmart. Shape is very nice. I'm going to be de-Westcoating it and turning it into something cool.

57ChevWagon02.jpg

Edited by Snake45

(I have yet to see the '56 without a warped body).

I got one together when I was about 14. Back in the '90s I bought two "new" ones and both had warped bodies. I called Revell and they sent me two equally warped, unbuildable ones. Shortly thereafter at a swap meet I bought a glue bomb from the '60s--the body is buildably straight and I can get everything else I need from the two '90s kits.

Meanwhile, not long ago I blew apart my ancient build '56, cleaned a few things up, touched up some paint, and put it back together. It is what it is--a relic of my youth.

Rev56Chev001_zps9afcf98c.jpg

Rev56Chev010_zps6ee535b0.jpg

Rev56Chev016_zpse45758a9.jpg

I too like this oldie.

I have built at least 4 of this one, 2 Pink Lowrider, a red/white box art box like

the box art build with AMT Firestone Supreme tire (Sold some years later)

I also built the Nomad, And have a Near mint unbuilt 1969 issue to play with, and one of

56 sedans.

And to top that off, I used another 56 sedan, and AMT 55 Nomad roof, and 57 Nomad interior

parts to bash together a 56 Nomad. Then Yes, Monogram released their 56 Nomad kit

before I finished my kitbash!!!!!

I have not uploaded pic's of them to Photobucket yet!!

Just did.

Here are a couple pic's of my bashed PRE-Monogram Kit 56 Nomad with the sedan I built and started to restore.

(This was the Candy Green box art issue!!!)

The Nomad is built from a built Original issue 56.

I decided too do the bash versus another straight resto!

56Pair-Ls_zps21d38260.jpg

56Pair-rs_zps49368d42.jpg

But marketing a snap kit to the same folks who bought the Roth '56 Ford pickup would have been a tough sell. And, at the same time, it isn't likely that youngsters ... the audience to which Revell primarily markets its snap kits ... would have much interest in a Roth product.

Am I the only adult (well, actually I'm not an adult, but let's pretend I am) around here, who likes schnapps kits?

I'd rather have seen the snap kit being rothized with a set of '57 Imperial wheels thrown in, than this afterbirth of a '57 Chevy kit being warmed up.

If they'd then follow that up with a newly tooled '56 Ford Pickup snapper, in the same quality as most of Revell's later glueless offerings, I'd be tickled pink!

Anyway, I'll order the Roth decal set from Department X, get me a set of 57 Imperial wheels from the Holthaus clan, and use the '57 snap kit.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the main complaint is that this Roth 57 Chevy has only one good point; the decals.

I was experimenting with swaping the old and the new AMT 1957 Chevy bumpers with this Roth '57 Chevy. For some reason, those Revell bumpers are extremely funky and to me don't represent the real bumpers at all. They are big and heavy, almost cartoonish. The opening doors and trunk are the only redeeming feature.

• 4 years later...
On 11/6/2014 at 5:49 PM, Snake45 said:

I got one together when I was about 14. Back in the '90s I bought two "new" ones and both had warped bodies. I called Revell and they sent me two equally warped, unbuildable ones. Shortly thereafter at a swap meet I bought a glue bomb from the '60s--the body is buildably straight and I can get everything else I need from the two '90s kits.

Meanwhile, not long ago I blew apart my ancient build '56, cleaned a few things up, touched up some paint, and put it back together. It is what it is--a relic of my youth.

Snake, your ‘56 is COOL!

On 11/6/2014 at 6:49 PM, Snake45 said:

I love this thing. If you have Facebook it would be more than welcome on the Scale Survivors page.

4 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

I love this thing. If you have Facebook it would be more than welcome on the Scale Survivors page.

Thanks for the kind words. I don't have facebook, sorry. 

One of these days I'm gonna have both the courage and the patience at the same time to reinstall the 210 trim. It looks about three times better with it, but MAN that stuff is fiddly. 

I'm thinking of doing a "Take Two" build of this--a brand new model of basically the same thing using my adult skills. I'll probably go with a dual leaf spring front suspension this time, rather than the suicide front axle. Probably slightly shorter traction bars. Am debating that metalflake gold interior, too--would probably go with black this time. 

Also undecided: Should I build it on the one good, straight original Revell body I have, or just do it on a "new" Del Ray? Testor Mythic Emerald for the paint (similiar to '69 Chevy Rally Green, but flakier), or classic Testor Jade Green metalflake (a bit darker)? 

The overall vibe will definitely be the same: T-bolt teardrop hood bulge, BB engine, Americans, slicks, high stance though maybe not quite this high. 

• 1 year later...

I’ve never measured the decals but I’m pretty sure they won’t fit the pro shop ‘90’s AMT. The rear of that roof is too wide I think.The rear of that model is closer to 1/24th. You would be better with the Revell snap or the Peppershaker reissue. ?

Edited by doggie427

I think if I were to ever get around to this one, I'd use the AMT - I already have it started as a build to be reminiscent of hte Roth car - started before the Roth car came out.   I'd paint hte roof silver and either cut hte decals apart for hte black stripes or tape and spray them.   The rest of the decal sheet would be used.  

I started the 56 truck.  Not sure why it wasn't ever finished.   When I run across it again, I may push forward.  I have an Outlaw, and Beatnik Bandits 1 and 2 already built.  Have built the later kit of the Tweedie Pie that wasn't the real car anymore.  I also have a Mysterion and Road Agent unbuilt.  Not sure I'll ever get to those.  I went through a Roth period in building.  

• 1 month later...

A heads up for anyone building this one: if you install the hood and trunk emblems (part #90) as the instructions tell you to do, the flame and pinstripe decals will not fit! Either leave them off and use the supplied v-shaped decal, or separate the chrome v from the "Chevrolet" script.

Looking at photos of the real car, I'm inclined to think Roth removed the script and left the v (they're separate pieces in real life).